Buffet Food Ideas

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
First off, let's me just say that my family are not gourmet type people and are more burger and chips people so won't appreciate fancy food or very much effort!

So, what would you serve up for them as a buffet? I like buffets but I'm having brain freeze about what savoury items to do.

I do buffet or 'party' food for my kids all the time. We are not into gormet food either but we typically have the following (not all at the same time though!):

Pizzas
Sauages and sausage rolls
Garlic bread
Cheese squares
Lots of fresh bread
Nachos and dips
Carrot and cucumber sticks
Little tomatos
Chicken drumsticks
Strawberriers and grapes
Crackers and different types of cheese
Fresh meat selection - Ham, corned beef, chicken slices etc.
Different types of crisps

And then generally cakes for pudding which I put on a plate and they help themselves to.

cous cous with veggies
dips with crudites
Hummous :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

think Mary Poppins suggestions are pretty good though..apart from she missed out COCKTAIL SAUSAGES :dance::inlove:

Home made sausage rolls with fresh cranberries

Savoury cheese and parma ham palmiers

Wraps with all sorts of good things - I had a fantastic one the other day made with a spinach tortilla and stuffed with green leaves, roasted veg, artichokes and hummus, yum yum

Nano quiches or a big quiche if people are using knives and forks

Also for knives and forks - meatloaf!

Ok so here's the list I wrote in bed this morning. It looks like I'll have 16 for Boxing Day. We normally do this at my dad's but we're hosting this year to give them s break. I can't wait as there'll be lots of games and noise and food! Very relaxed and informal and generally just a complete scream.

We always have cold 3 meat joints and hot roast potatoes to go with them for late lunch and the buffet food lives out all day to give everyone a good change of festive food poisoning! My dad always makes scones for after the cold meat, chutney, pickes and tatties and they are lush!

So to the buffet. My family are the complete opposite of me, fussy and very English plain taste. Think 70's dinner party and you wont be far off. I need to cater to that as if I buy the stuff I like I'll be the only one eating it and will regain all my weight by New Year!

Dips
Nachos
Carrot/cucumber/celery sticks
Sensations crisps
Pringles
Twiglets
Pretzels
Nobbys nuts
Beef/pork/turkey joints
Pickles
Gherkins
Roast potatoes
Sausage rolls
Cheese and pineapple on sticks
Picnic eggs
Cheese
Crackers
Bread
Quiche
Indian frozen selection
Sandwiches
Heros
Biscuits foxes
Gruyere and poppy seed twists
Chicken nuggets
Veggie nuggets
Cheese and jalapeños bites Tesco
Pizza
Cocktail sausages
Trifle
Scones with jam and cream (dad's bringing)

Yum! I love roast potatoes at buffet's. Also those little mini pasties are nice too. A chicken satay?

newrider.com