buddy sour horse

elise

Jul 23, 2003
Farmington, MN, USA
www.ineedanap.net
the horse i ride on weekends seems to be completely buddy sour. he's desperate to catch up to the other horse if we ride together, if i take one horse out at a time to get them tacked up, he's spastically looking around trying to find the other horse. i've read a lot of how to get them over this attachment, a slow process that it is. unfortunatly i don't own these horses, and i don't have access to them every weekend let alone every day. they live near my bf's parents farm which we visit as often as we can. i'd like to try and break the horse of this habit so he's more pleasurable to ride especially if i ever plan on riding him alone. but if i walk him in the circles and do the other suggested training for buddy sour horses, only on the weekends and often not every weekend, is he going to remember this training? maybe it will just take a much longer time of showing him that his buddy is still gonna be there when he gets back? any suggestions would be great.

Try getting to know him - let him know that he doesn't need his friend to look after him, because you'll be the boss and look out for scaries, and protect him. If you don't see him all that often, he could view you as the person that takes him away from his herd, and he doesn't trust you yet.

Spend as much time as possible with him on the ground; grooming, playing, bonding...when you get on board again, he'll feel more able to trust you, and won't feel that he is alone and vulnerable, because you're there too.

this weekend i probably won't get a chance to ride (who knows), the owner's sufferred a mild stroke and he usually rides with me on the more green of the two horses. so i was thinking if i didn't ride maybe i'd head over there any ways and give them both a nice shampoo, get some of the tangles out of their manes. maybe that will help let them get to know me. and get some much needed washing done at the same time.

lol sounds like just about every other horse mad girl in the world - I was the same, now that I have my own, I hate mucking out, but it is a necessary evil (well, was - Dolly is on purely grass livery now!)

newrider.com