Buddy not picking up

It does stop being funny after a while. One can only shrug it off for so long....
spent over an hour today putting his rug back together, he had ripped off the front fasteners, plus a bit of tail flap. and re=sewed other bits for extra security. the identical rug is so bad that it is spares only!

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
after 4 nights of escaping, he was found in the correct place this morning, perhaps rewiring the fence and turning on the power did the trick, i usually don't have it on as i tend to be the only one who gets sizzled by it and the donkeys and suze stay where they are. anyway he is now wearing his re-sewn rug!

Mine generally respect the fence even if its off as long as they have plenty to eat. Eventually they discover the bit thats off and will go through. A few days of it on and then give up trying to escape.

The other day i must of accidentally left it off. Someone had chuked a large rock onto the hightensile wire that runs along the public footpath. I turned the cut out switch off to remove it must have forgotten to put it back on. It took the 24hrs and they went through my poly wire fence into the hay field.

He has had a few days off due to being too hot or hammering down with rain. Ridden today 40 minutes, very lively, full of himself. I think he has had a virus of some sort as his weight is good and he is looking much better in himself. He will be retested in next 2 weeks to see what the bloods look like. he and Suze are finally becomining friends, they stand nose to tail, she stays with him. They have never been pals, never groomed but i think soon we may see them fraternising.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Did so well today, 45 minutes, testing route. Down a hill, then up a hill, flat stretch, then down a hill including one which is almost vertical, flat stretch then up another hill. The ups are quite gentle but enough to get out of breath. He was very wired, excited, taking himself into the bridle and striding out very very well. He has excellent quads and good muscle over his back and this route is brilliant to give him a work out all over just at walk. No breathing issues at all. Thrilled to bits with him.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
He was blood tested on Friday and the results show that the level that was wrong is now back within normal. He has retained a bit of coat, like last year, which would suggest cushings, but he has had 2 cushings tests, the first last year was borderline and the one this year was clearly negative. He feels fine riding out very bouncy.

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
He is in disgrace for breaking through the fence last night and taking Suze Fleur and Murphy wish him. Krug, being a good donkey, stayed at home....They all came in like barrage balloons and had to wait about 2 hours for him to regain consciousness before he went out for a ride to work it off. They were all lined up totally comatose. Funny riding in ordinary stirrups as my endurance ones are on Suze's saddle, really hurts my feet and knees.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Buddy been out in the box up to Bowmount Forest, where he hacked for 1 hour 15, got off and walked him the last 10 minutes as thought he had done enough.

He walked all around the tracks and field margins and loaded perfectly, given he hasn't been out in the box for ages. He's a real star and felt very well in himself. Had a big lunch and gone out to the winter field to have a bit of a treat as lots of wild flowers in it.

Buddy been out in the box up to Bowmount Forest, where he hacked for 1 hour 15, got off and walked him the last 10 minutes as thought he had done enough.

He walked all around the tracks and field margins and loaded perfectly, given he hasn't been out in the box for ages. He's a real star and felt very well in himself. Had a big lunch and gone out to the winter field to have a bit of a treat as lots of wild flowers in it.
And then had the emergency vet out that night as he came in not well

• Sad
Reactions: GaryB
Sorry to hear this - hope the vet can sort him.
He had another incident sweated up, was looking dull, in pain, passed a poo and looked much more comfy so probably a little colicky, we gave him some danilon and he was fine. She thought he was lame on both fronts when we walked him up, but when he walked out to the field he was sound, so i think he was still sore when we walked him up for her. He had a day off yesterday and was fine, and will rest today.

Oh gosh, you really don't need this stress D&T. There's clearly something going on with poor Buddy. I hope it rights itself soon xxx

Oh gosh, you really don't need this stress D&T. There's clearly something going on with poor Buddy. I hope it rights itself soon xxx
He seems fine now, probably my fault, i let him out on the winter field as a treat for working hard, Aimee donkey has been out on it as she needs to keep weight on being 33, so he may just have been too generous to himself and was a bit stuffed. Once he had a poo he was immediately more comfy and it was normal. I know he isn't sound technically ie. would never pass a vet but he walks around the field happily and is seen to have a mad 5 minutes. Just have to be more careful with him.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Its certainly sounded as though he had a bit too much grass in one go. He sounds like hes a bit sensitive just now. Glad hes ok now.

Glad he's himself again
he's back to his cunning old self, was intending to ride today, got front hoof boots on, yes he has arthritis so i am very careful, ask him to walk so he has his foot in the air and then hold it and do it easily. Funnily enough he can manage to self lift his feet to have them taken off:rolleyes: Today got fronts on and the old bugger just would not cooperate at all. So i took the fronts off through the bloody boots across the yard and threw him out in the field before i murdered him.

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
he's back to his cunning old self, was intending to ride today, got front hoof boots on, yes he has arthritis so i am very careful, ask him to walk so he has his foot in the air and then hold it and do it easily. Funnily enough he can manage to self lift his feet to have them taken off:rolleyes: Today got fronts on and the old bugger just would not cooperate at all. So i took the fronts off through the bloody boots across the yard and threw him out in the field before i murdered him.
Oh I know that feeling only too well!

newrider.com