Buddy not picking up

It gets weirder. Worm test results in. He is 1100. Suze is 1550, despite being clear in September, embotaped x 2 in December, and going into a winter field which was poo picked in June 2019 and then harrowed and rested till October! Fleur who followed the same routine is 800. His weight is now up to 546kg his fighting weight is 538kg. His breathing without the medicine is normal, and he is out chilling and wandering around. I have got him a full face Equilibrium field mask which is also UV protective and sprayed with beconaise. will rest him till weekend and then walk out in hand and see what happens with his breathing. I suspect the problem on sunday was not a colic and was a reaction to the medication and i will ask for his records to be amended so he is not excluded for colic. And he probably did not require the buscopan.

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers
I think his brain has been affected. I had left one of the paddock gates open so that the donkeys could get into the field shelter overnight if they decided to go out. So you have the choice of paddock 1 next to the yard, go through gate to next field and turn left. You can either go straight up the hill on part of the circle - I have closed 2 sides of it off as there is too much grass on it - or you can turn right and go into a small paddock and out of it onto the hard standing in front of the field shelter. You can then turn right into another paddock which has been grazed. Buddy was in there, Suze had managed to figure it out and was in the first field, donkeys on yard, and Buddy stuck. I went over with feed scoop and encouraged him to come back to the field shelter so he could turn left and come in but no. So had to take the fence down and let him through and he galloped to the yard, with a huge buck and went into his stable. Came out furious as his breakfast wasn't there, well no it was in the scoop I was holding...

I took him out in hand for a 20 minute walk, first time since his incident last weekend. He seemed fine to me on the way back could hardly keep up with him His diaphragm is a bit exaggerated at first but when he has walked out and done a bit his breathing is better. It's also hard to tell as his nostrils flare and he snorts when he spooks which if course he did as it was a windy day. He went down to the bridge and back up hill into the wind and he was marching on as on his way for post walk breakfast. May have a sit on him tomorrow as it is safer riding him than leading him as he tends to be all over the place and likely to land on you!

Ridden today, I walked him up the hill to the church and got on at the wall so he didn't have to do a hill to start with carrying me and also could check his breathing. He did 40 minutes walking, 20 ridden, and his breathing seemed back to normal, he was walking along, swinging, head low, farting, could hear tummy gurgling. Had a couple of spooks and stretching to 18hh a new record for him. His coat is shiny again, and I think he has improved a lot over the weekend and watch him drinking often and producing more poo, so encouraged that we may be over the worst.

Buddy was tied up to be groomed, with the intention of riding him. Suze as in the little paddock, she came out and lined up next to him as she wanted groomed too. This is very brave of her and she and Buddy are not mates, they don't mutual groom.

So they were both groomed thoroughly, manes tails feathers, all oiled, put some killitch on both of them, feet sprayed etc. Suze never moved a muscle just stood there next to him as i switched between the two of them.

Brought Buddy's boots out to get him ready, he was sound asleep. Put his fly mask and rug back on and turned him out. Was going to do some work with Suze but she was equally gone, nobody home so left her to relax

Checked everyone's weight, Buddy up to 553kg so cut him back now as he has regained his weight plus a bit too much. Suze ok, Fleur very low, 445kg, Murphy back on diet as he has gained, Krug ok. Just need to finish poo picking and my chores done for the day while all the equines snooze and amble around..

Reactions: Trewsers
He went up the hill today, the one he couldn't do before, didn't stop, wasn't out of puff, also considering hawthorn is out - one of the things that irritates his nose - he did very well, you could see him nod a couple of times from the pollen but he chose to go that route. Only 30 minutes but it's a steep hill, good for keeping his hindquarters well muscled, and he wasn't out of puff or over breathing when he came back. He is looking better shinier, just more like a healthy horse than one that isn't quite right.

Ridden for an hour today, went well, he's looking a lot better, tummy lifted up a bit, more definition on his quarters. so going around the track on the hill is muscling him up. Breathing was fine, so hopefully just an unexplained blip.20200524_121611.jpg20200524_121702.jpg20200524_121708.jpg

Last edited:
For two nights the old bugger took down the fence to get to the new long lush grass overnight. So I closed the track to stop him getting up the hill to those fences.

This morning i found him in the winter field which i had harrowed and put away to rest. The fence is up. The old bugger must have jumped it as it is too low to limbo under.

So he wandered in for breakfast, swaying gently and farting, very pleased with himself. Oh and he has wrecked his one half decent fly rug as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
He went through the bloody fence again last night even though i opened up a semi nice paddock for him.....having now spent 3 hours poo picking, i am going to have a shower and then start sewing together fly rugs and see what we have that is in one piece. Between him and Murphy.....this summer murph and krug are naked as their rugs lasted 22 days last year....so they can rough it.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
He went through the bloody fence again last night even though i opened up a semi nice paddock for him.....having now spent 3 hours poo picking, i am going to have a shower and then start sewing together fly rugs and see what we have that is in one piece. Between him and Murphy.....this summer murph and krug are naked as their rugs lasted 22 days last year....so they can rough it.
It does stop being funny after a while. One can only shrug it off for so long....

newrider.com