Bucking

JaneR

Jan 5, 2023
Hi, looking for advice on a five year old mare who likes to buck and bounce whilst slowing down from a canter. Or just unexpected bouncing and bucking whilst out riding. Checked all the usual things, teeth, tack etc and all seems fine. Been thrown off several times now and my confidence has taken a hit. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best advice is to get some lessons with a good instructor. At five it could be a lack of balance and co-ordination.

Reactions: JaneR
I did think about that too. Sometimes I can have a perfectly pleasant ride. Trotting, canter and jumping with no drama and then other times I am being bounced about and it seems to come from nowhere.

Thank you for your reply 🙂

Yeah you’re definitely going to need eyes on her to figure out the cause, there’s so many possibilities there’s no way anyone online can really help unless there is specific triggers/behaviours you can describe (which I presume you would have already mentioned if there was)

I'm glad you've checked back etc. When my boy bucked unexpectedly it was because his saddle no longer fitted. Good luck with getting help!

newrider.com