Bucking - Is there something in the air???

jembo15

Dec 30, 2007
Everyone I speak to seems to have bucking problems at the moment!
Mine tried to get me off yesterday, another friend has a very quiet horse that had a bucking fit and left her in the park and went home!

Is anyone else having the same problems?
Do you think it is the spring grass coming through????

Or have I just developed a hot seat over night???

My friends took over all the way home with her the other day! she is normally very well behaved. Mine's always a **** so wouldn't make a difference :rolleyes: x

at the moment

a. my cob not bucking but pulling really bad / jogging / snorty when hacking

b. daughters bombproof perfect gent of a pony cannot be hacked out far the moment as he is jogging / cantering on spot all way home - full of joys

yeah something in the air I think!

Napping

My daughters cob Jack has become increasingly nappy in the last month and particularly refuses to go down a certain road, for no apparent reason. Today he turned and galloped all the way back home (about 1/2 mile). My daughter had never galloped before and could not stop him. Eventually she lost her stirrups and made a calculated fall off into the road. Fortunately she was not too hurt. JacK continued to gallop straight back to the yard. We were shocked because we thought he would never do anything like this. Where do we go from here, other than professional re-training, as we have lost all confidence in his safety for a novice rider. Strange because he is so easy to handle, mount, tack up, ride out from the yard and does not flinch at traffic and other noises. Anyone have any ideas?

It's quite reassuring to know Im not the only one suffering. My mare started bucking whilst riding out last week. She was really 'pully' and kept on jogging all the time - only when she saw other horses though. I cant even use spring grass as an excuse because she is stabled at the moment!

just done a post on my lovely sane calm criollo turning into a monster from hell :mad: he had me off yesterday after a broncing fit out hacking so praying its something in the air and not just him, can't lead him in hand, turn him out or ride him ;)

Yep it's in the air not the grass as all ours are in at the moment until their bog dries up a bit.

Our big lad was an a*** saturday depositing my daughter in the sand , he had been looking for an excuse all week:rolleyes: As she then couldn't ride any more I lunged her pony he was full of it as well, rearing up and only just missing me before we'd even got in the school:eek:

Flute sorry to hear about your daughter. When I got my horse back from loan 2 winters ago the same thing happened to my daughter, although fortunately she did manage to pull him up. Shandy spinning round and going also sent the rest off but they managed to pull up after a few strides. Shandy galloped down hill for about half a mile luckily a horse savvy driver blocked the road behind her with her disco. We now only hack this horse on the roads in the summer it's just not worth the risk. Our horse had already been retrained professionally before this happened so not sure what to advise you. TBH over the years I've known lots of horses pull similar stunts often just a one off.:rolleyes:

My daughters cob Jack has become increasingly nappy in the last month and particularly refuses to go down a certain road, for no apparent reason. Today he turned and galloped all the way back home (about 1/2 mile). My daughter had never galloped before and could not stop him. Eventually she lost her stirrups and made a calculated fall off into the road. Fortunately she was not too hurt. JacK continued to gallop straight back to the yard. We were shocked because we thought he would never do anything like this. Where do we go from here, other than professional re-training, as we have lost all confidence in his safety for a novice rider. Strange because he is so easy to handle, mount, tack up, ride out from the yard and does not flinch at traffic and other noises. Anyone have any ideas?
Try not to catastrophise (easily done in this sort of situation). If he is usually a doll, he will probably remain a doll. If he is frightened by a particular type of thing on roads you can work around it (e.g. hack with a calm, steady horse in front and perhaps behind until he develops more confidence) . My mare (who is also a doll) did what your daughter's pony did about 3 years ago. she has never done anything like this since - Your pony may just have been having his one really bad day. And afterall he did warn you over the past month that there was a horse eating monstar waiting down that road! Spring is in the air and most of them haven't had as much work (experience of the world) over the past few months ;)

well H has started to get very hyped up, but im not sure whether its because shes getting alot fitter

shes not even on grass yet, just on a mud paddock but shes very wizzy at beggining of schooling sessions a lately had a lesson other day and nearly got bucked off lol

My four are being complete idiots at the moment - any excuse for a major bucking session! :eek:
I cant wait for them all to calm down and go back to being well behaved, calm, happy chappies!!! :D

Spring grass coming through I think. Went through exactly te same thing a coupple of weeks ago with my 2 when they changed fields. Thankfully they are starting to calm down again now, although Sosa is very tense at the moment but that's not just because of the grass. Spring is in the air methinks!! :rolleyes::D

Do any of you avoid certain situations where you know your horse or pony will have a bucking fit, or do you just go for it and carry on as you normally would.
I am really tempted not to do any canter work until he has calmed down a bit, as I have a long long way to fall!!

my girlie nearly bucked me off yesterday too squealing like mad , shes prob coming into season as her field is a bog!!!

they r all a bit nutty at the moment!

talking to friend before she said she was doing some poem for school and the theme was how do you know spring is here so i did a pony version and thought i would share!

I know spring is here when
the ponies can go out in the field
we ride in the sun
the grass is long
but i mainly know when spring is here because
i am sat on my bum in the school
and my horse is broncing around me

enjoy!

xx

newrider.com