Bucas sun shower as a fly rug

rockymountain

Jun 3, 2009
Falmouth, Cornwall UK
Can you use the Bucas sun shower as a fly rug.

I have the Amigo fly rug but it is rubbing on my horses shoulders and chest area, whereas the sun shower fits.

I wanted a fly rug that does not have the neck attachment and is a very light mesh ( some of them are a heavy weight this year ) my horse gets very hot under rugs.

So basically I need a Light mesh fly rug with detatchable neck that has the adjustment buckle at the front and that has the splits for shoulder movement.

Does anything exist like this ?

RM

This might sound daft, but what are you rugging for? I know flies, but I don't see a logic in only covering the body? I would personally look at something like global herbs fly free instead of rugging :)

In general your horse will get far too hot in the summer with a rug on, unless its a fly rug as it has mesh/holes in. The sun and shower is shower proof and is made for the transition days, not to be used as a fly sheet.

If you get a standard fly rug you could always modify it, see the member above she is an excellent modify for purpose person..she could give some tips maybe...:biggrin:

The Bucas is a great rug (I had one for a few years, though they don't wear well, being so lightweight, the mesh ripped in the second summer) and is the coolest rain sheet there is I think but it will always be warmer than a fly rug.

You miight want to look for a more open weave - I had a Lansdown fly rug (they're no longer like this though) that had massive holes and I thought it wouldn't work but it was great.

newrider.com