Brushing boots....probably a silly question

RRA

Jan 30, 2008
Berkshire
I have 2 identical pairs of brushing boots although generally I just put them on the fronts. Yesterday in my hurry to get tacked up I had put the wrong boot on (I didn't realise you could do this) apparently the velcro strips should face backwards.....they don't come with instructions!!

One of the people I ride with pointed this out and I said I must have taken one from the other pair then as the other one was on right - she said don't you have different ones for the hinds?

That got me thinking - should they be different behind? I didn't see this pointed out when I bought them or am I just getting it all confused now?

Help! Thanks ;)

the only difference between jim's hind ones and front ones are that the hind ones are bigger.. because hes inbetween sizes :p

But yes the do have a certain leg they should go on. Usually straps to the back :)

you can get different shaped brushing boots for the hind legs and some horses need a size larger on the hind but not all so i would not worry too much about it

however straps to point to the back on all boots, i was the same when i first started using them as a kid

Thanks for clarifying that. I hadn't even thought about it before just put them on and have probably be putting them on correctly as securng them front to back is the natural way of doing things - I had just picked up two the same and not realised as I was getting hurried along!

Thea usually makes a fuss when I put them on her hinds so hadn't used them much - I need to persevere then! :)

I had some shires boots and the lady who sold them to me said I need a large for all 4 feet, then I boughts some New (brand) ones as didnt get on with the Shires and another lady this time told me to buy large for the backs and medium for the fronts.

So dont surpose it really matters, but on looking at pics the smaller ones at the front seem to look and fit better.

I was told the reason the straps go backwards, is because if your jumping, the straps cant get caught on the jump as they go over and come undone.

The first velcro strap should always go front to back. So if they're double locking ones the second strap will go back to front.

I was always taught it was because it prevents the 'pull' to fasten them from pulling against the tendons (which are obv. around the back of the legs?)

I'm probably totally wrong! :eek:

newrider.com