Brush cleansing?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
What do you people do / use on your grooming kits? Sorry if I have asked before! Just that today I am in cleaning mode and am about to pop all Chloe's brushes in the washer inside my rug bag. Was thinking it would be easier than doing them all individually in the bath like last time! Any thoughts?

my brushes (ok, 'brush', actually. ahem) is of the cheap and cheerful variety so I tend to simply replace it when it gets skanky :redface:

I am too mean fisted for that! lol. Plus I am sentimentally attached to Storm's bestest pink brush - had it since we met almost 9 years ago, and I can remember the excitement I felt buying a brush for MY horse! Happy days....

I have a favourite brush too! I have to admit none of them look like new (sigh...I wish I could be one of those that keep everything in pristeen condition but despite my good intentions whenever I purchase anything horsey it looks like new for all of a day). Recently I put mine in a pillowcase and chucked in the washing machine. It didn't ruin any of them but they also didn't come out sparkling like I had hoped. At least they had a wash though :unsure:

hmmm... I never thought of chucking them in the washing machine! I just give them a brush and a knock or two off a wall so the hair and dust comes off:giggle:

I clean my brushes every month by putting,them in a bucket of water with a tiny bit of hibiscrub. I love grooming and have posh brushes i like to keep clean.

I have a favourite brush too! I have to admit none of them look like new (sigh...I wish I could be one of those that keep everything in pristeen condition but despite my good intentions whenever I purchase anything horsey it looks like new for all of a day). Recently I put mine in a pillowcase and chucked in the washing machine. It didn't ruin any of them but they also didn't come out sparkling like I had hoped. At least they had a wash though :unsure:

Yeah, my horsey gear never stays new looking for very long either!

Most of mine are as old as Methuselah and hardly worth preserving but I just love some of them and the memories of various horses I have used them on.

I always treat all my neds and donks for lice in the spring when their rugs come off, regardless of any sign that they may or may not have them. At the same time I sprinkle louse powder over every single implement, leave it for a day and then wash them off in good old Milton. I think perhaps I might be being slightly OCD with this?:unsure:

I disinfect all our grooming kit with Dettol every couple of weeks. We use the same brushes on all my boss's horses so it makes sense to keep them hygienic.

Summer, leaving them in the sunshine. Winter, putting them close to (but not directly on) the tackroom radiator.

newrider.com