Brought my horse to a new barn, she’s anxious

Oldernewbie

Jun 15, 2021
Hello, this is my first ever post. I’m 65, been riding only a year and a half. Got my mare about nine months ago. She was anxious at the precious barn when I got her, but I was riding her within the first week. Under supervision. Started out very herd sour but improved.

Just moved to a new barn five days ago with huge pastures and access to trails. She’s pastured with a gelding to whom she has bonded very quickly. Potential problem? I’ve been taking her out for walks in her lead rope a few times each day, around the property. Today I tried grooming her up at the tie-ups outside. She got quite anxious, pawing the ground and walking back and forth, so I took her back. Clearly, not ready to tack her up and get on her! Did a few groundwork exercises today, hoping to get back to “normal”, whatever that is. How can I help this process along?

They can get quite unsettled by a move and latch onto their new pasture mates particularly strongly. I’d keep doing what you’re doing and gradually keep her away for longer periods, however I’d be careful not to take her back when she is exhibiting the separation anxiety behaviour, wait for her to be calm so you are only rewarding the desired behaviour.

I would add, try to make each interaction you have with her pleasant. If you take her for an in hand walk, maybe allow her to graze for a little bit. If you're grooming her, maybe concentrate on scratching some of her favourite itchy spots or do a little massage. My gelding finds chest massage very enjoyable and relaxing.

They can get quite unsettled by a move and latch onto their new pasture mates particularly strongly. I’d keep doing what you’re doing and gradually keep her away for longer periods, however I’d be careful not to take her back when she is exhibiting the separation anxiety behaviour, wait for her to be calm so you are only rewarding the desired behaviour.
Thank you. In that case, I’ll need to avoid returning her directly to the pasture, as that’s what I’ve done ip to now when she shows anxiety. Makes sense.

Reactions: Jessey
Thank you. In that case, I’ll need to avoid returning her directly to the pasture, as that’s what I’ve done ip to now when she shows anxiety. Makes sense.
Its a really difficult thing to do, they start playing up and you get wound up, and the last thing you want to do is wait it out, but by doing what she wants (putting her back with her new buddy) every time she is rewarded for the unwanted behavior, but sticking it out a few times (knowing that she will probably act like a toddler and have a tantrum) will pay off in the long run.

Aim to make leaving as nice as possible, and to return her before she misbehaves, sometimes that might mean you barely get out the gate before turning around, but every time you are able to reward her for not loosing her mind, will help her keep her calm a little bit longer next time.

Reactions: carthorse
Its a really difficult thing to do, they start playing up and you get wound up, and the last thing you want to do is wait it out, but by doing what she wants (putting her back with her new buddy) every time she is rewarded for the unwanted behavior, but sticking it out a few times (knowing that she will probably act like a toddler and have a tantrum) will pay off in the long run.

Aim to make leaving as nice as possible, and to return her before she misbehaves, sometimes that might mean you barely get out the gate before turning around, but every time you are able to reward her for not loosing her mind, will help her keep her calm a little bit longer next time.
Thank you! It doesn’t help that the pasture mare calls out for her when she’s gone! I just get her interested in something new, she hears him and whips her head around. I’m the new boarder, waiting it out, don’t want to make waves at this point. Good advice, thanks.

Reactions: Jessey
Thank you! It doesn’t help that the pasture mare calls out for her when she’s gone! I just get her interested in something new, she hears him and whips her head around. I’m the new boarder, waiting it out, don’t want to make waves at this point. Good advice, thanks.
Could you throw some hay/feed out for the pasture mate? with the owners permission of course. A little less provocation might aid your mare to focus on you. Let us know how you get on, we like following peoples stories here :D

newrider.com