Broken ice

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Do you just break ice and leave it in the trough or break and remove it?

I'm not sure if throwing it out is just a sure fire way for me to empty my trough before my hose thaws ;) but leaving it in I suspect it freezes back up sooner....... My trough was refreezing an hour after I broke it this morning.

The current state of my hose (I disconnected the tap end yesterday, it didn't thaw enough to drain properly)
FB_IMG_1519567573590.jpg

Reactions: newforest
Does this work better than the ball idea?
We still have ice here and it's half four in the afternoon, no sun.
Can you place the water in a spot that the sun hits as soon as it comes up?

Reactions: Jessey
I'm watching this thread, normally ill break the ice and leave it in the bucket, or Belle will, but given what's coming weather wise I'm thinking I'm going to have to think of something quick.

Sometimes I take out other times I leave. It kind of depends on the weather. If the weather is cold and the pipes freeze I leave in as it could be days before pipe thaws. Sometimes the trough will thaw a bit but as the pipes frozen I can't refill so better to leave.

We've had sun and Hank's trough is in it but it was still refrozen 1/2" thick when I went back at 4.30, the ice mum took out of it yesterday is still sat by the side too. The main trough that Jess has is in the shade most of the day, it's the only place I can get my hose to tho.

Last time we had a real cold blast I got 2 buckets, 1 small, 1 large and filled the gap between them with expandi foam in the hopes of insulating it to keep a little defrosted water for them, it failed miserably :rolleyes: I'm going to pick up some salt in the morning and try the salt water bottle, it can't hurt to try.

I take it out as i remember one year it went to slush and froze pretty much solid. The ice is still sat beside the tough fur the last two days but enough water to last I heard it filling yesterday but not today

@Jessey there are videos on you tube. One lady I think it drops to -19 and it didn't freeze. Epsom salts with water.

Different video

I've seen various videos and people saying about it, but I've seen lots of people say a ball stops freezing too and I've never had any luck with that, or the insulated bucket above, so not holding out too much hope ;)

Reactions: Prjsmk
Billy would chew the bottle top and pull it out the water. I'd find it on the floor next to the trough.
Wow I've just watched some of those videos. Ironically one said there horses pulled the bottles out. So they tied them. So pretty certain Billy would do it now.

I have just learned a new trick. I didn't know about the salt water bottle. So thank you. Role on cold whether I can't wait, got to try it now myself.
Can it be normal table salt or does it have to be Epsom salts.

Last edited:
Reactions: domane
I always remove the layer of broken ice otherwise it pretty much freezes back within an hour or so. Tried all the tricks mentioned, never yet had one of them that works. the very bad winter back a few years (apparently the same as what is heading towards us now) we had to fill all containers in the house (all outside taps frozen) take them down the field and stand while they all had a long drink...and then repeat until everybody stopped drinking. If we just left it there it froze before they all had a chance to drink, but I did have a good few more in the field then. I am truly not looking forward to this week coming up :(

My water is in an IBC, I am expecting it to freeze but no idea really as its my first winter like this, then I'll be faced with filling containers at home and driving them over to the horses or pumping directly from the bore hole into containers to lug to the trough.....assuming the bore hole won't freeze.

I have to say so far I am liking the cold dry weather, yes its bloody cold but everything is drying up, the horses don't seem bothered by it and at least the sun shines :)

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I take the broke ice out, my cob thinks its a treat and stands licking it (the thick bucketshape pieces that dont break and come out whole) hes currently fenced in a small area with a big bucket of water which freezes pretty quick so i go twice a day to take the ice off, and off the trough, thenext field to me has a concrete trough, god that freezes up bad! I hate winter :(

newrider.com