British Racing School

Hiya
i think when they mean returning to full time education
because once you have finished the 9 week course you then go to work ( which they help find you and yes it is guaranteed) and carry on training and they will keep checking on you making sure your doing ok etc. I think to finish the whole course takes about a year.

Sorry it doesnt make sense i'm to tired at the moment :eek:

Brs is such a lovely place and they have great facilites.

In the end i decided not to go because i thought about it and i couldnt stay away from my family and not seeing Prince for ages i think would kill me.

I was asked to work for Prince's old trainer and he would put me through brs and then i would work for him.

Sometimes i wish i had said yes to him everytime i hear newmarket or watch races i get butterflies in my tummy but then i look at my phone to see the picture of my Prince and think i made the right choice :D

Good luck in what ever you decide
in the end i was to much of a wimp i suppose, i get homesick and Princesick really easy :eek: :D lol

Sorry for the essay xxx

Last edited:
I went to a conference there last month and got a tour around, the place is gorgeous! definatly something i would have loved to do if i was younger and had no ties (would have to lose a couple of some too :rolleyes: )

From what the lady was saying the 9 week course is really intense but sounded fantastic! They take people who have never ridden before :eek: She did say that everyone was guarenteed a job somewhere but not sure if you have a choice on where in the country.

They could not make you stay in the job if you decided it was not for you and could not stop you from going back into education. The only thing is they could possibly make you sign some sort of contract about having to pay some of the costs if you do??

However i imagine there are more applicants than places so maybe be a bit unfair to take the place of someone who really wants to work in the industry if you already know before hand that you want to go back into full time education (eg. go to uni )afterwards.

Thanks guys.:)
Yes, I thought it would be something like contributing to costs of the course and a contract etc.

place is nice, some of the staff and students they turn out less then diseriable.

if your looking at going into racing you can get a full time full pay position from alot of the yards in newmarket and you can be under and apprenticeship, which really you don't need.
unless you want to be an exercise rider for ages and ages i would not go into racing, have it as a side line hobby or something (unless your main passion is in racing) long slipt shift hours, and not alot of thanks on some of the yards around here.

personally i would go the national stud route.
or any other route. if your definatly not sure then i would seriously take time to sit back. i mean last i knew they had cerfews and only let you off property on fridays for a bit while your there.

also there are height and weight restrictions.

What is wrong with some of the staff and students?:confused:

I would love to be a day-to-day exercise rider; making it to the top doesn't bother me, just enjoying what I do and being happy does.:)

Curfews don't bother me either to be honest, I rarely go out now, LOL!:eek:

I haven't heard about the height restriction, are you sure one exists? (don't mean that in a patronising way btw!), but I am within the weight restriction so that is good.

Overall, it is a while off yet (going to get a job for a few months, at least, before I apply) but generally feeling quite positive (although a little nervous!:eek:) about the whole thing.

some of the staff and students are just complete assholes, some of the students that are produced think tey are better then what they really are, and are the worst to deal with whether socially or on a yard.
also some of the staff while, they know what they are talking about are sexist and elitiest, and if your not in the "in crowd" they ride your ass. (this is what i know from meeting some and knowing some of the students years gone by and recent)

the height restriction (if i'm not mistaken could have changed its been a while since i have looked into things and all the people i know frm there are under 5'6) is 5'8. while if you take a job there is no restriction, from them training you to be a jockey im pretty certain there is still.

if your honestally just looking to be an exercise rider rather then try to race, your best bet is to find a job as an exercise rider, you don't need anything formal to be one, just be able to ride (even then be careful in newmarket some of the exercise riders esepically on the smaller yards can't even do that safely or correctly)

newmarket is also one of those towns you love or hate. you may have more luck on a smaller yard somewhere away from newmarket area. around here we have alot of forgein riders and grooms and because they are brought from places like dubai (generally darley stud) its hard to get places, and girls harsh as it may be on some yards still have issues finding their feet.

if your set on going there enjoy it and get the most out of it, personally though if your looking to exercise and nothing else you can find your way onto nice yards without having to go through that, and you don't get paid less and you still for most have the option of housing. so its something to look into rather then fork out money and time on something you do not need to get to where you look like you want to be

Fair point rgbilyeu, but I can't see anybody employing someone who wishes to exercise racehorses but doesn't have any experience of it. I mean, come on, it is a totally different kettle of fish than schooling a horse for dressage!

hmmm.. I worked on a racing yard for quite a while.

We had a fair few people come & go who had been to the racing school - one started a year after me & stayed after I'd left, most of the others lasted a month or so (one lasted a whole day lol). The horses were a lot more difficult to ride than they thought they would be & although they had some difficult horses at the racing school I don't think they were riding out 4 bucking/spinning/rearing/jogging/tanking off horses every day as they were expected to when they actually started working with racehorses.

The ones who left after not much time were really not very good riders & couldn't cope with the pressures of exercising the racehorses - not sure on the quality now as this was about 10 years ago, maybe the riding training at the racing school has improved.

I actually got into it by doing my school work experience at a local yard when I was 15 - I just wanted to help out really & try and get some yard experience, I didn't expect to be riding the racehorses. The first couple of days I got to ride out one of the cobs used to lead out young horses then my boss thought I could cope with early fittening work on the racehorses which was great fun & experience. Ended up staying there all summer & building up to canter work by the end of it.

I went back every weekend & holiday until I finished my college course then worked at the yard full time when I left at 18 for a couple of years :)

You don't have to go to the racing college to get a job in a racing yard - first thing you really have to think about is whether a) you can cope with riding racehorses & b) you actually want to ride them & put yourself in the situation where you may/probably will fall off more frequently than you'd like

Fair point rgbilyeu, but I can't see anybody employing someone who wishes to exercise racehorses but doesn't have any experience of it. I mean, come on, it is a totally different kettle of fish than schooling a horse for dressage!

lol i was employed by race yards with no experience of riding fit in comp race horses, i'd ridden hunters and ex races horses, some ex p2pers and then your sjers and eventers etc and they said as long as i could stay on i would be fine.(i just had a quick 2 min session about bridging my reins correctly) and i went in the exericse ring on a lower yard first horse out, 2nd i was on the gallops.

alot of the yards in newmarket as long as you meet the weight requirement they don't give a damn, its about butts to saddles. they will see you ride under their trainers maybe once or twice if your lucky unless the head lad says your completely useless they will keep you around, you will just be on the older or slower horses (ie the ones not racing every week or what have you in terms of "slower")

its made out to be this amazing world of elegence and everyone trained etc, if your on the bigger yards ie in newmarket if your on the darley or goldolphin yard then yes you find the trained riders, (again most of them do dubai 6 months outta the year so..) the other yards unless your out racing for the yard, pretty much whatever, i mean your exercisings roughly 5 horses a day on a lot of yards, thats alot of horses to get around and not many people to do it.

I went to the Northern Racing College, which in itself is similiar to the BRC.
I did all my training ect and afte rworking on a yard, I didn't particularlu enjoy it and quit to office work.
The accomodation there was fab, and because I was under 19 all free.
It's just like being at uni :)

Sorry havn't read all replies.

Hi, I went to the racing school and it was brill! - Yes a job after the course is guaranteed providing you finish the course and pass... I think it is guarenteed for like a year or something to get experience then the employer either keeps you or can transfer you else where depending what kind of thing you are looking to do as they may not be able to provide it where as somewhere else may...

newrider.com