Bringing Ziggy home - my dilemma

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
As you all know, Ziggy had colic surgery a week ago and is recovering in Liphook Horsepital.

It is likely that he will be allowed home early next week, Tuesday maybe. He has to stay in his big field shelter, only coming out for inhand grazing, for 6 weeks.

As bad luck would have it, I have 3 days' work next week: Tuesday I am in London, and then Wednesday and Thursday I am working away in Bristol - leaving at sparrowfart on Wednesday and not home till late Thursday.

My OH, my liverymate and my groom Carol have all offered to look after the boy when I am away, but I am not sure that I feel right about it. I think it would be good to be there with him while he adapts to being home, but being shut in. I have enquired at the Horsepital and they are happy to keep him on box livery for an extra 2 days (for £50 a day, which is peanuts when I think about how many thousands this is all going to cost). So I could ask them to do that and arrange for him to come home on Friday, when I will be able to be with him full time for several days if need be.

So -

• bring him home, to his own field, but not be there? or
  • keep him in horsepital an extra 2 days, and not be able to visit him?

What are your views?

leave him where he is till you can be with him.
you would never forgive yourself if something happened and you were not there and he was undwer someone else's supervision.
glad he is on the mend x

I would leave him where he is for now, you will want to be settling him in yourself and also not wishing to sound grim......but if he were to have some sort of relapse you wouldn't want to leave that responsibility with someone else.

I vote leave him too, even if he is ok with you not being there when he is home I get from your message that you wouldn't be :smile:

Yeah, I'd leave him too because although he's coming home, it is still unsettling, and specially if he's not 100 per cent. And, you won't be able to concentrate for worrying if you think he's at home and you're having to ask other people to look after him for you (even if they are lovely and tend to his needs, you'll still wonder).

I would leave him where he is until you are back.

Yay to Ziggy coming home :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I agree with everybody else - leave him nice and cosy with Liphook and then get him home when you can be there to spoil and pamper him. You will be totally useless at your job anyway if you are just stressing about him at home without you won't you?:smile: Good little Ziggy - hes a fighter isn't he - must be the Irish in himself!:smoke:

Another vote for leaving him where he is for a couple of extra days. so glad he'll be coming home.

Another vote for leaving him where he is. If there are any complications he'll be in the best place. And you haven't got the potential difficulty of something happening while a friend or OH is looking after him.

I would leave him where he is. I did this after my dog had surgery and I knew I couldn't nurse him myself. It seems like the most sensible option and gives him the best chance at recovery. I'm not saying your OH and mate can't but leaving him in hospital a bit longer can only be good.

For your own peace of mind leave him there Also, & not wishing to worry you, the journey home can knock them back a bit & that's a lot to ask someone else to deal with no matter how willing or knowledgeable they are.

newrider.com