Bringing the horse in garage?

BeachRiding

Aug 26, 2004
USA
It's really hot outside, and i was wondering if I could put up fans in the garage and let the horses stay in there when it is hot a couple hours of the day. The garage would be empty and safe. Would this be against the law, or anything like that? I just feel so bad, they are so hot, their sweating!:(

im sure if you put fans in and left the door open and put food in there they coul docme in if they wantesd to, so they wouldnt be trapped if they fell out or anything:)

How big is your garage?

If it's like mine, it's made of concrete or some other hard surface, you might want to put some mats down if you plan on them standing in there for long periods of time.

Like No_Angel said, don't lock them in there, let them go in and out as they please.

I'm going to say it'd be safe(and I'm pretty sure legal), but the dimensions would help me to make a sure decision. :)

They would have to be locked in during the hottest hours of the day. Although the garage door would be open to let them see out, and the air circulate. I am going to put a kick board up to block off a third of the garage.

The garage is pretty big, 3x as big as a normal stall. And, I am going to put stall mats down.

WillieLove said:
They would have to be locked in during the hottest hours of the day.

I think that if they are locked in there, the buildings basically become stables so yes, it probably is illegal (ie. against planning regulations!) If I were you I'd give the council a ring and ask (hypothetically) what the regulations would be if person x kept horses y in garage z. At least you'd then know where you stood:)

Your horse can quickly double his height is he is startled and he rears--in an unfamiliar environment, horses might be more prone to rearing, especially if enclosed in an open space with other horses.

Take a good look at the roof of your garage and think about what might happen if your horse rears even briefly. If it's like mine, the potentials for injury are overwhelming--lights, garage door supports, garage door opener mechanism...I also have glass windows in my garage, wouldn't want to let horses near those. My floor's concrete, would be really hard on their feet and legs (and slippery in the event of a fight or spook, particularly slippery in pee spots or on fresh manure).

I have considered bringing my horses into the garage in the event of a hurricane (or major storm) with flying debris. If it had gotten to that point, we'd have remained in the garage the whole time to supervise and try to keep everyone safe. There's nothing else that would make me use a garage for shelter.

newrider.com