Bringing my horse back in to work

Jul 15, 2005
Essex
My horse has been off work this past year and had some IRAP therapy in January. The problem was initially in her front feet - she's been sound on the front since April, but then developed a slight mystery hind leg lameness.

That's no longer a problem and she has been given the all clear by the vet to return to work. :skip:

She had a month's box rest during her IRAP treatment, but the rest of the time she has been turned out and so hasn't had prolonged rest. She's a little bit overweight, but no different to how she was really when I bought her 3 years ago (she'd done no work for a few years due to lack of rider).

I have my own transport now, so thought I would do a couple of walk/trot tests with her locally to start getting her out and about again (we used to do quite a bit of dressage before she went lame).

There's also a pleasure ride I'd like to do at the end of August - only 3 miles long - which is probably shorter than most of our hacks to be honest.

So I'd just like to hear your tips for bringing her back in to work. I know I've done it before with her, but I'm always interested to hear how others have tackled it. :wink:

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
When i was bringing bonnie back into work we did lots of walks inhand first before riding. We did carrot stretches and belly lifts daily to start strengthening her back muscles. The walking got her fitness up. Once my mum was back riding her we did months of walking, increasing the length of the hacks. Once she was trotting on hacks i let mum start doing some school work with her. Bonnie had been off for longer (18 months) however even when bringing my current boys back into work after winter i still spend a good 6 weeks walking out on hacks to build them back up again.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Bringing horse back into work after tendon sheath surgery Training of the Horse and Rider 3
A Bringing horse back into work after tendon sheath surgery Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 3
Jane&Ziggy Bringing a horse home Cafe 15
L bringing a horse back into work after a long period off. Training of the Horse and Rider 4
ChloeAnWomble bringing my horse back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 14
Dark Storm Bringing a horse back into work after virus induced lammi Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 5
Rubic Bringing a horse back into work... Training of the Horse and Rider 0
Werehorse Bringing a horse back into work. Training of the Horse and Rider 6
Dark Storm Do you play games with your horse when bringing in? Cafe 2
Skeeder Bringing horse back into work 6-8 week plan Training of the Horse and Rider 8
jcagrove Bringing a horse that has been on box rest for five weeks back into work.. Training of the Horse and Rider 4
SkyeBean Advise needed about bringing horse back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 3
Bay Mare A lovely blog about bringing on a rescue horse Training of the Horse and Rider 6
Kc.. Bringing a horse back into work? Training of the Horse and Rider 8
RRA did anyone else feel like this bringing on their horse? Training of the Horse and Rider 2
G Bringing a horse back into work .... Training of the Horse and Rider 7
Bertie Alone in a field - bringing your horse in General 6
angelfben Help please - bringing horse back into work after tendon injury/operation Horse Care 18
Element Bringing a horse back into work... General 12
S bringing a horse back to work Metabolic 0
F Bringing horse back into work General 0
Bronya Bringing barefoot horse back into work after lami - boots or not? Hoof Care 3
M bringing horse from ireland -passports etc General 8
D bringing horse back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 8
G Bringing a horse back to work Training of the Horse and Rider 4
Nookster New horse to ride - bringing back into work General 14
BeachRiding Bringing the horse in garage? General 9
D Bringing a horse to a New Stable General 2
beanz's mum bringing a horse back into work slowly? General 4
Stella2 Programme for bringing horse back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 4
Styric Bringing a horse back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 5
A Your thoughts on bringing a horse to college... 2005 Archive of Posts 9
jUmPingIsLifE Bringing a horse into Barrel racing Other Disciplines 2
D Bringing a horse back into work 2005 Archive of Posts 8
BabygirlGR Bringing a horse into jumping Training of the Horse and Rider 5
Em 1 Bringing horse into an outline - how does it work? Training of the Horse and Rider 2
floppy bringing a horse back into work 2001 Archive of Posts 6
P Turning out/bringing in Horse Care 6
W Bringing in from field Older Riders 6
EmsandBluexx bringing on a young jumping / event pony Competing 10
C Bringing back into work Cafe 17
Ale Trouble bringing ale in. Training of the Horse and Rider 7
Lolatheshowgirl HELP I'm bringing on a youngster! Training of the Horse and Rider 24
Jessey Bringing on kids ponies Training of the Horse and Rider 8
KP nut Bringing on young horses Training of the Horse and Rider 29
Laura_107 When do you start feeding ad lib hay/bringing in? Horse Care 17
Native Lover Bringing an older broodmare back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 2
K Ace's bringing back into work diary Members Diaries 17
Jane&Ziggy Bringing Ziggy home - my dilemma Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 26
Gill Bringing Lady back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 2