Bringing in help~!

rosehip

Aug 13, 2010
Could anyone advise me on the best way to prepeare my horse rfor coming in at night. He is used to being in the stable as an exracer, and was in during the night last winter but having been out all summer im worried that he'll go all loopy if I suddenly put him in the stable with no prep.
Any help please...?

tbh, by the time I bring mine in they are usually quite happy to stay in over night. He'll be fine - especially if he's still going out during the day.

They usually quite enjoy being back in at night:D

Well my two mares live out and I have one other stable (2 stables in all) where I am getting a new livery in a couple of weeks so he'll have a room mate, but not one he knows too well yet.
Im also worried about what the best way to introduce the new horse is...
Thanks for your reasurance tho!

If your mares are going to live out, can't he?

The least stressful way I've found to introduce a new horse is to put it in an electric fenced paddock in the field it will be moving into. This allows it to meet its new herd over a fence, reducing the chances of injuries. Once they're all settled (can take a few weeks!), let the new one out with them. This is IMO a far safer way to do it than just turning the new one out and hoping for the best.

I've just started bringing mine in at night. They have lived out since April.

My cob has a slight chill due to the rain recently and drop in temperature overnight so thought it was about time. Although very early this year :furious: :furious:

To be honest, I think they were relieved to come in to a warm dry stable and out of the mud.

I don't prepare them for it. They just get put in and that's that. I do however make sure they have plenty of hay to keep them even happier.

You're looking for a problem that isn't there. Put down a good bed, put in plenty of hay & leave him alone because as long as you aren't faffing around winding him up he'll be fine. In fact you'll probably get in his way because all he's probably going to want to do is eat his hay!

I'd agree with DollysMum about the introductions, though I'd say a few days rather than weeks. Make sure the others aren't all going to clear off away from the new one, if needs be put some more tape up to keep them nearby, because you want them to talk over the fencing. And after a day or two maybe put the quietest/least bonded of yours in with the newbie so he has a pal when he gets put out with the herd.

newrider.com