Bringing horse back into work after tendon sheath surgery

Abbeyjade

Aug 21, 2021
hi guys,
my OTTB had surgery for an infected tendon sheath a few months ago and he is recovering incredibly well according to his vet, she did say that he needed 3-4 months of paddock rest before getting him back into work and as that time is almost here I was just wondering what riding schedule you would recommend for bringing him back into work and prevent injuries? Thankyou

Best to ask the vet. After mine had a tendon injury the vet gave me a written exercise plan to follow. We had started inhand walking while still on box rest. Started at 2 mins riding after his 15 min walk. But as yours is out I would start with a 10min walk hack. If in doubt go slower. More recently (and with totally different issues) with my horse we walked in hand for 5 weeks, walked ridden for 4 weeks before trot. Trotted for 4 weeks before cantering.

I would start with 20 minutes walking and build it up from there. Something like 20 minutes per day for the first week, 25 minutes per day for the second week, 30 minutes per day for the 4th week, 40 minutes per day for the 5th week etc. until you get to 60 minutes. Then if all goes well, add in short periods of trot along a similar line. It will take about 3 months to get back to full fitness. I would do all this on hacking routes and only think about introducing schooling after you have been hacking for 3 months.

newrider.com