Bringing horse back into work after tendon sheath surgery

Abbeyjade

Aug 21, 2021
hi guys,
my OTTB had surgery for an infected tendon sheath a few months ago and he is recovering incredibly well according to his vet, she did say that he needed 3-4 months of paddock rest before getting him back into work and as that time is almost here I was just wondering what riding schedule you would recommend for bringing him back into work and prevent injuries? Thankyou

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
Best to ask the vet. After mine had a tendon injury the vet gave me a written exercise plan to follow. We had started inhand walking while still on box rest. Started at 2 mins riding after his 15 min walk. But as yours is out I would start with a 10min walk hack. If in doubt go slower. More recently (and with totally different issues) with my horse we walked in hand for 5 weeks, walked ridden for 4 weeks before trot. Trotted for 4 weeks before cantering.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I would start with 20 minutes walking and build it up from there. Something like 20 minutes per day for the first week, 25 minutes per day for the second week, 30 minutes per day for the 4th week, 40 minutes per day for the 5th week etc. until you get to 60 minutes. Then if all goes well, add in short periods of trot along a similar line. It will take about 3 months to get back to full fitness. I would do all this on hacking routes and only think about introducing schooling after you have been hacking for 3 months.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Bringing horse back into work after tendon sheath surgery Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 3
angelfben Help please - bringing horse back into work after tendon injury/operation Horse Care 18
Jane&Ziggy Bringing a horse home Cafe 15
L bringing a horse back into work after a long period off. Training of the Horse and Rider 4
ChloeAnWomble bringing my horse back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 14
Dark Storm Bringing a horse back into work after virus induced lammi Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 5
Rubic Bringing a horse back into work... Training of the Horse and Rider 0
Werehorse Bringing a horse back into work. Training of the Horse and Rider 6
The Original Crazywoman Bringing my horse back in to work Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 1
Dark Storm Do you play games with your horse when bringing in? Cafe 2
Skeeder Bringing horse back into work 6-8 week plan Training of the Horse and Rider 8
jcagrove Bringing a horse that has been on box rest for five weeks back into work.. Training of the Horse and Rider 4
SkyeBean Advise needed about bringing horse back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 3
Bay Mare A lovely blog about bringing on a rescue horse Training of the Horse and Rider 6
Kc.. Bringing a horse back into work? Training of the Horse and Rider 8
RRA did anyone else feel like this bringing on their horse? Training of the Horse and Rider 2
G Bringing a horse back into work .... Training of the Horse and Rider 7
Bertie Alone in a field - bringing your horse in General 6
Element Bringing a horse back into work... General 12
S bringing a horse back to work Metabolic 0
F Bringing horse back into work General 0
Bronya Bringing barefoot horse back into work after lami - boots or not? Hoof Care 3
M bringing horse from ireland -passports etc General 8
D bringing horse back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 8
G Bringing a horse back to work Training of the Horse and Rider 4
Nookster New horse to ride - bringing back into work General 14
BeachRiding Bringing the horse in garage? General 9
D Bringing a horse to a New Stable General 2
beanz's mum bringing a horse back into work slowly? General 4
Stella2 Programme for bringing horse back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 4
Styric Bringing a horse back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 5
A Your thoughts on bringing a horse to college... 2005 Archive of Posts 9
jUmPingIsLifE Bringing a horse into Barrel racing Other Disciplines 2
D Bringing a horse back into work 2005 Archive of Posts 8
BabygirlGR Bringing a horse into jumping Training of the Horse and Rider 5
Em 1 Bringing horse into an outline - how does it work? Training of the Horse and Rider 2
floppy bringing a horse back into work 2001 Archive of Posts 6
P Turning out/bringing in Horse Care 6
W Bringing in from field Older Riders 6
EmsandBluexx bringing on a young jumping / event pony Competing 10
C Bringing back into work Cafe 17
Ale Trouble bringing ale in. Training of the Horse and Rider 7
Lolatheshowgirl HELP I'm bringing on a youngster! Training of the Horse and Rider 24
Jessey Bringing on kids ponies Training of the Horse and Rider 8
KP nut Bringing on young horses Training of the Horse and Rider 29
Laura_107 When do you start feeding ad lib hay/bringing in? Horse Care 17
Native Lover Bringing an older broodmare back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 2
K Ace's bringing back into work diary Members Diaries 17
Jane&Ziggy Bringing Ziggy home - my dilemma Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 26
Gill Bringing Lady back into work Training of the Horse and Rider 2