Bringing horse back into work after tendon sheath surgery

Abbeyjade

Aug 21, 2021
hi guys,
my OTTB had surgery for an infected tendon sheath a few months ago and he is recovering incredibly well according to his vet, she did say that he needed 3-4 months of paddock rest before getting him back into work and as that time is almost here I was just wondering what riding schedule you would recommend for bringing him back into work and prevent injuries? Thankyou

The best advice I can give is have a chat with the vet and see what they suggest. That said I'd start with an absolute minimum of 8 weeks daily walking in straight lines, starting with 15 minutes and slowly building up if he's coping. It goes without saying that you check the leg carefully before and after each ride and ease off at any sign of a problem.

The best advice I can give is have a chat with the vet and see what they suggest. That said I'd start with an absolute minimum of 8 weeks daily walking in straight lines, starting with 15 minutes and slowly building up if he's coping. It goes without saying that you check the leg carefully before and after each ride and ease off at any sign of a problem.
Ok Thankyou for your advice

newrider.com