at the moment echoe is doing the following.:

monday- 20 mins
tuesday - day off
wednesday-20 mins
thursday- day off
friday- 20 mins
saturday- 45mins
sunday- 45mins

he is long reined/lunged/free schooled/walk in hand because were waiting for a new saddle to be fitted . he had a bad back so were building up muscle.
he is also on a fittening programme to get him fit:p :D
hope that helped:D

Anneli
xx

how much work was she in before the 3 months off?
I completly started again with all fitness of shay, i walked him for 12 weeks and im now only starting to trot more, and hes having a few very short canters, just to keep us both sane really. He will do trot work for another 12 weeks, increasing how long we trot for, and then progress to canter work, and then longer rides, at the moment he is only doing about 5 miles, we will be building up to 8 miles soon, im not sure of the milage of the longer rides we have, but id guess they would be about 10-12 miles, if not a bit more. My horse is being fittened for endurance work tho.

the usual fitness plan is 6 weeks with the horse being worked everyday, but you need to take into account the starting fitness of the horse, any physical problems the horse has, and somehorses can get fitter quicker than others. Because my ex racer has been at peak fitness before, she seems to get fitter more quickly than my cob, that can be taken into account, but fitness should be progressed slowly.
In 2 or 3 weeks work from being roughed off, i would expect a horse of mine to walk and give 1, maybe 2 short trots.

week 1 walk on roads to help harden up tendons ( half hour build up to one hour)
week 2 introduce a bit of trot work ( start with 4 lots of 2 mins of trot interspaced with walking)
week 3 introduce canter, and school work ( 20-30 mins of school work0
week 4 gradually increase amount of school work longer periods of trot and canter etc ( increase schooling to 45 mins)
week 5 introduce jumping / trotting poles/ grid work
week 6 should be reasonalby fit for 'normal' hacking or prelim dressage test, start to increase jumping exercises if you want to show jump

This is off the top of my head and not from a book buts its roughly what I would do if its an adult horse who was reasonably fit before and has not suffered any injuries. young horses take longer to get fit, and obviously injuries can require weeks and weeks of walking before anything else is allowed.

newrider.com