Bringing a horse back into work after virus induced lammi

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
It's been 9 days since Shadow took ill, today it looked as though we're turning that corner, and I can start to think of what happens once he's allowed to start having some turn out again.
Until this point, I haven't really dared to think about it, not wanting to tempt fate. But, I have to have a plan of action of getting him back into work, i'm thinking a min of 8 weeks in the school, then a gradual re-introduction to road work?
I'm not planning on more than ten mins for the first few days, then gradually increasing it over the course of a month. I'm thinking of every day, well, 6 days a week, little but often. Does that sound too much? I'll obviously start in walk, and see how he goes from there, i'm worried about him having issues if I push him too soon :unsure:

def wait for everything to settle down properly first eg. off painkillers and sound once they're well out of the system. not sure how bad his lami is/was? has he foundered?

you probably wont need 8 weeks in the school, to be honest. i'd just take it easy and be sensible (eg no trotting on the road for the moment maybe), hacking at walk, that sort of thing.

fingers crossed for a good recovery :)

Same as what NP has just said really. Play it by ear.

When Cheri had lami, I very gradually built things up. First I turned out in a small area and gave hay and forage feed before grass. Once she was sound I lunged for around 10 mins a day. Then I started riding in the field on soft ground (didn't have a school) when I was convinced that was ok I started walking out on short hacks. At the same time I slowly increased turn out.

She was a wee bit lame in trot on hard ground, but the laminitus was gone so she had X rays and the vet discovered a very slight rotation off the pedal bone on one fore foot. Farrier put rolled toe shoes on and she hasn't looked back.

Once they have had Laminitis once, its very easy for them to get it again, so my advice is to be extremely vigilant with the grass, watch out for 'flushes' and frost. If in doubt at all, I get her in a smaller area and substitute grass with hay and forage feed.

He hasn't foundered (thank god!), last meds were sunday, we now on wed.. he's not gone backwards, is well in himself, driving me mad with his begging for everything - food, hay, water (yes he likes it fresh!), attention, oh, and of course, wanting out :bounce:
He's stepping out really well, i'm so pleased with him, not bad for a horse who just over a week ago, wouldn't move out of his stable without force. He's been good on his feet since Saturday :smile:
After much thought, i decided to add some global herbs to help prepare him for his return to grass, which will be very gradual. I'm keeping in contact with my RI, and she's going to work out a remedial plan for him:smile:

i'd def give him another few weeks before getting on him again, just to be on the safe side. laminae are fragile things ...

You'll have to tell him to stop testing his feet out on the stable door.. he's terrible for attention seeking.. his idea of testing sensitive feet, is obviously different to ours..

newrider.com