Bridle for a section D mane question

M

mu0ljk

I want to try some inhand showing this summer but don't have a hunter bridle.
I am assumming that this is what I will need for Dylan in m&m classes (he is a section D)?

However, Dylan is a black welshie and I am not sure whether I should get him a brown or black bridle? He is in brown tack at the mo - and I think he looks better in brown tack - it seems to give a bit of contrast to the black.

Also, I have been growing his mane but about 4 inches have been rubbed off near the base of his neck. What do you think is the best thing to do? Should I pull the remaining mane so it doesn't look quite so obvious or do I just leave it and smile apologetically at the judge when they come by?! :D

Here is a picture of the beastie - I'm afraid I don't have any of him with a longer mane with a chunk missing.... ;)

20081231-120109.jpg

Thanks in advance! :)

For inhand with a gelding you can use a normal riding bridle (hunter style does look best), an inhand bridle or a white halter.

I personally also prefer brown on blacks as I also like the contrast.

Most section Ds are shown with pulled manes. The secret is to pull in so that it still looks natural. I find thinning knifes good for this. Also I notice his tail is 'banged' at the bottom - his tail should also look natural and the end should be in a kind of V shape.

He looks a lot like my gelding
IMG_0006.gif

snow2090.jpg

I'd get both. Prioritise the bridle, then keep an eye out on ebay for the halter - they come up reasonably often and tend not to be too expensive.

Daffy looks good in his halter (I don't like the rope ones, prefer webbing)

scan0001-1.jpg

But he looks equally good in his ridden bridle, which is Sabre & brown. I was going to buy him a Jeffries, but I like the colour of the Sabre.

show1.jpg

I prefer having the single lead of the halter to the two reins of his weymouth set, but the halter can slip round, and I have a bit more control in the bridle so I use that especially if the weather isn't great.

ETA, on the mane front, Daffy has about 5" missing from the middle of his mane. I've shortened the rest slightly (no more than I would usually to about 8-10") and I'm putting plenty of MegaTek on the short bit every day to encourage it to grow back. In the mean time, it just looks like it's on the "other side" from wherever you are. I'm avoiding brushing and plaiting, going to wash it tomorrow (Dressage on Sunday) but then just trying to leave it be.

Last edited:
Echo everyone saying brown tack :)

Biggles (new forest) mane got rubbed last year & regular treatment with megatek is working wonders. strengthening hair & encouraging growth :)

Thanks guys - lovely photos too - I like Daffy's crescent moon! :)

I have been putting cornucrescine on his mane at the mo as that's supposed to help with hair growth too I believe?

My local tack shop sells the rope halters for £4.90 so that's great and in the meantime I shall keep an eye out for any brown hunter bridles on ebay and at our local tack auction.

I don't want to spend loads as showing is something I know nothing about and so just want to give it a go and see if I like it first! I'm going to go and have a look at a couple of m&m classes before I go so I shall have a good look at length of manes and their tails too. When you say ;switched' how do get that look?

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
newrider.com