Breeder to get second opinion...

MelissaH

Dec 23, 2004
Visit site
If anyone read my introduction, you know that my first horse did not pass the vet check. He was diagnoses with Wobblers Syndrom. I finally talked to the breeder and she don't believe the diagnoses.

She has all the paperwork from the last few vet checks, the horse is only 4. She said how would the horse have come all the way from Kentucky through to Arizona & into California without anyone ever seeing this. I guess Calif. is very strict about the horses that come here? Basically, the vet had him trot away from him and turned around to me in less than 10 seconds time and said, "you don't want this horse." It all happened that fast. I told my breeder that he did not attempt any other kind of testing that you can do with the horse at that moment. Like pulling at the tail...etc.

She refuses to let it end there. She is going to get two other opinions. She will not say anything to the vets.

One thing that I was told when I went to see him, was that he had a weak rear end from being stalled for a year. And that he needed to work on his gait. He also needed to build some muscle, which she was working on. Could this have affected the way he looked? Possible.

Well, I am going to wait patiently. I told her that if he checks out okay, I still want him. BAD! So maybe, and thats a big maybe, he will be my dream horse.

This is him.

Attachments

• dubie.jpg
    dubie.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 137
He is a gorgeous boy! I'm glad you are getting a second (and third) opinion, but just please don't get your hopes up too high, I wouldn't want you to be upset all over again! Hopefully maybe this first vet was wrong. 10 seconds to evaluate a horse sure doesn't seem like a very good amount of time to me, but then again, i guess I wouldn't really know! Good luck on all this, and if you do end up getting him, we'll all like to see more pics and hear all about him! ;) :D NR good vibes are a very strong thing, you being new probably wouldn't know about them yet, but they've worked in the past, so just for good measure, I'm sending you and that beautiful boy some <<<<GOOD VIBES>>>> all the way from Ireland!! :D

Wobbler syndrome?? I would want more than a trot up to diagnose that.

We had a vet once diagnose sesamioditis on a horse who he watched trot up ONCE! We found out he was a small animal vet and the last time he worked with horses was at vet school!

A different vet wouldn't let me start a 50 mile endurance ride as he said my horse (who had done the 100 mle horseshoe ride the month before) was lame in both front feet. I knew he was not lame. The vet said I could do the 25 mile pleasure ride, but not the 50 mile ride. Now either a horse is lame or he ain't if he's lame he cant do 1 mile let alone 25. I KNEW he was fine, so I did the 25 mile ride so I didn't have a wasted journey.

I met the international vets during my ride and asked them to look at my horse to put my mind at rest......I won't repeat what well respected endurance vets told me!:D :D :D Trust your own waters, they often work better than any veterinary certificate.;)

Thanks Christy. I'm picking up them good vibes. I am not getting myself all excited to be let down. I went into this telling myself if he didn't pass vet exam, I would pass on him.

I still hold to that. It's still hard because you don't plan to buy the horse unless you kinda hit it off, so there is always the chance of being hurt emotionally. I guess that's just part of life.

Keep sending them vibes...:D

I'll be sending them until I hear that the vet checks went well!! :D

Wally's right, you know, she said what i was thinking but didn't know if I was right or not :eek: hehehe.

Wally-your right.

Me, being a first time horse person and not ever experiencing a vet exam just took his word for it.

Sometimes we put too much faith in what someone says. He's a doc with a big rep, maybe he is too full of himself. You know how any type of doctors can get. The God syndrome.

Even my husband, a non-horse person, raised his eyebrows on this whole thing. He wondered how the heck could he come up with this diagnoses so qucik and sure of himself!

Weird vet. I am not saying there's nothing wrong with this horse but how can he narrow it down to Wobblers just by trotting?
My guess with the weakness of the hindend would have been something more common like EPM, etc.
Keep your hopes up but be careful. He may be wrong on Wobblers but there still could be something not quite right so make sure that any 2nd or 3rd opinion is objective about that.

If the owner/breeder's vet is the 2nd opinion, there could be a conflict of interests...
Good Luck!

Another thought:
Could you have him on 30 day trial or even let the breeder bring him back into work for a month or so before you financially commit to this horse?
Sometimes horses that are weakened either by malnutrition or other problems get a whole lot more attitude once they feel better and are fitter.

(edited for spelling- a 30-day-trail would be a bit long)

Last edited:
Hopefully by the end of this week. If another vet says no, he does not have it, I would want a third opinion.

I don't think I would be compfortable with a 50/50 chance of ending up with wobblers.

I will keep everyone posted.

newrider.com