breathing problem

horsehelp

Banned
Jun 2, 2004
In another world
www.horsehelp.co.uk
im having a problem with my NFX penny.
i have recently found out she is allergic to hay/straw,
durinmg this she has had 6 weeks out ofgwork.
i have just slowly brought her back to work.
Evertime i ask her to canter or trot she yanks her head down to the floor, i dont know weather she is biend naughty or wether its its to do with her breathing.
can any one help please?!
x
mel

Hmmm...

That could be naughtiness; that could be a problem with the bit, saddle, or contact.

But it also could be something else. I'm having the same symptoms with my Duchess when I ask for a transition to a faster gait, and I also know exactly what the problem is: loss of muscle. I have not ridden her since last November (in December I hurt my back). I started riding again recently, and Duchess has completely lost her topline. She has a low-set neck and a very heavy shoulder; in comparison she has almost no haunches, and when she moves she naturally is very heavy on the forehand. I had built up her back so that she could carry herself through trnasitions, but it's all gone.

Now, under saddle or when turned out, to make a transition she "throws" herself into it head first. She has to lunge forward and down to get into a trot or canter--much more so for canter. It feels very like a buck (unfortunately for my delicate, recovering back). I have been lunging her and working on balanced, on-the-bit movement under saddle. I will not be asking for a canter again until she's got some more topline, because I am not strong enough to "help" her through the transition--and I don't need to be sitting something that isn't-but-feels-like a buck.

Right. It sounds like your mare may have some balancing issues since she was off work for so long. It'll take rebuilding the muscle along her topline before she can handle a transition.

If you can get her very balanced and get her weight really on her back end before asking for a transition, this should help. I can't manage that, because my back can't handle it, so I'm simply focusing on building up her back in other ways. But if you can use some really strong half-halts and get her really balanced back, you may be able to "help" your mare through the transitions, and help her get her muscles back.

Galadriel ... When you say topline, do you mean just the neck, or the whole 'topline' of the horse eg. neck, back, undersaddle muscles, Hindquarters? I'm slightly confused if you just meant the neck (which is what topline often means in UK) because surely the movement from behind comes from strength in the hindquarters and softness and strength in the back rather than a cresty neck?

I'm also thinking, like galadriel, that the mare's behaviour is due to a lack of muscle.. the feeling of being pulled downwards is like the mare is pulling herself into the upper pace, rather than pushing into it from her hindquarters. Equally, if it is a more dramatic yanking downwards I would go down the pain/poor contact/ misbehaviour route.

As the rider, does it feel just like the upwards transitions are awkward for her, or rather that she is snatching the reins out of your hands? The two behaviours are quite different in cause/solution.. and if you feel it is more snatching I may have some advice.. !

Rachel xx

Oh, nono. By "topline" I mean the muscles the horse uses for self-carriage; mostly along the back and the hindquarters, and only a little in the neck.

A horse throwing the head down dramatically in transitions sounds to me like a lack of muscle and balance; especially when the horse is just coming off 6 weeks of rest. A horse who's lost a lot of muscle may just not have the capacity to make the transition without "launching" the front end into it.

Last edited:
Glad to clarify that!! I was just imagining this pony that was all made of neck with no bum or back muscles.. hehe!

As for the pulling the head down, the likeliness is lack of muscle development, but it is a native pony, and not wishing to be rude about them, they are sneaky little things at times, and I have ridden rein-snatchers when I was younger, who used it as a method of removing the riders contact and therefore removing control, and having a giggle about it! Looking back now, I realise that with better riding this would not happen, but as a little 10 year old on a very strong native, you haven't really got much strength of seat. So, a possibility is that if your position is a little bit weak, and you are being pulled out of the saddle as she does this, it may be her way of saying that your contact is too strong or jerky.. perhaps moving up into the upper pace you are inadvertantly jerking on the bit a little, so she is trying to loosen your reins before she moves up a gear. If this were the case, you would need to work on acheiving an elastic contact.. one that is always there and always has a contact with the bit, but one that gives softly through the shoulder and arm. Note that the hand should not really allow the rein to travel through it, else the contact will loosen entirely rather than just softening.

Another possibility is that she is in pain from a badly fitting saddle, uncomfortable bit.. and of course she could just be being cheeky, but best to rule out everything else first.

The most probably reason is lack of back muscle, which should build up with more correct work :)

Rachel xx

Originally posted by RachelEvent
Glad to clarify that!! I was just imagining this pony that was all made of neck with no bum or back muscles.. hehe!

Hehe--that is pretty much what my Duchess looks like *now*! All neck and shoulder, with a puny little back and haunches. She obviously enjoyed her vacation, and went right back to dragging herself along on the forehand as soon as she got a chance. Her back is just pitiful. By "building up the topline" I mean the muscles along the top of the horse, from the ears all the way to the tail; but mostly from the shoulder to the tail.

By the way, horsehelp, I do hope that your pony is feeling better now. Have you got the allergies all worked out?

thanks for the advice!. i have noticed that she is very unbalanced an d im working on building up her muscles. i have also noticed tast bordom triggers her off pulling down her head. so today i managed to focuse her on what she was doing and she didnt do it!
do u have any excersizez i can do to build up her muscles? plus to get her balanced
x mel

newrider.com