Breaking and backing....

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
I might have a pony to back, now I've been out of breaking for few years so just fishing for any "new" ideas that are coming around. The pony is mouthed and lightly backed (sat on, walking, bit of trotting but obv still very green) but hasn't been lunged/long reined etc. If it goes ahead, I plan to take him back to scratch and teach him to lunge first under saddle, then with weight bags strapped on before introducing the "scary" things such as carrier bags full of straw tied on to de-sensetize it to flapping, walk it over tarpaulins, poles etc etc and generally introduce him anything and everything. He has done a little in hand showing, and is pretty well handled - he will stand fairly well to be groomed; not too keen on his back legs being brushed yet and fidgets but this will come with practice. He stands tied up, wears a rug, picks up his front feet (as I mentioned he is still a bit funny about his backs).
:)

ETA: I will be doing everything but sitting on him...at almost 5'11" I think I might be a touch too tall for him at 13hh!!

Sounds like fun :)

I will be starting to back my rising 3 year old, she is 3 in July and I will be teaching her to stand to be mounted and long reining and lick a pro and then maybe I will have a sit on her before the winter comes and some small walks around before she starts more next year, that is if she starts to look more like a horse! She already wears tack and is pretty much desensitized to most things.

Potential new owners are viewing him tommorow so I will know then whether or not he will be for me to break in.
He's the chestnut/roan - isn't he cute :D
23612_379410816960_507951960_4107568_1010817_n.jpg

I think long reining is the asnwer, I backed my youngster just to the point of ground work and on her back in walk, then lack of time and having a 2yr old son meant that I sent her off to be backed properly. He had her for 3 weeks, basically long reined her around his yard and up & down the lane, got on her and had his girlfriend lead him up and down the lane, got her in the school, walk, trot and canter, then she came home for me to get on with her education knowing that I didn't have to do the 'dangerous' bit lol

newrider.com