Braving the BR world again

B

Black Beastie

Well K's shoes have come off today, took the plunge to get him BF transitioned since the ground isnt getting harder and hes living out. His feet need a rest and Ive been wanting to get his shoes off for ages and vets now told me to get it done so trying once again.

So heres the pics the shoes have just come off farrier will be back in 4 weeks to see to E he has rolled them although they dont look it. we are going to work on getting his heels underneath him and getting his fronts as hard and good as his hinds.

He had a stone imbedded in one of his hinds that the farrier had a hard time digging out as his hoof as that hard and strong. Has a bit of a track so farrier had to try to dig it out and was commenting on how brilliant his back feet are, so i sloshed some hydrogen peroxide into it and farrier thinks it will be fine :)

The hydrogen peroxide seems to have killed his seedy toe as well so there is a little bit soggy typw hoof wall which the farrier excised and that should hopefully be gone in about 8/12 weeks :)

So hoof pics I have take fronts and backs as comparisons. He barely had to do anything to the backs he said they are self trimming them selves, gave them a little roll but that was about it :D

Fronts (BF today)

Left

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDM2LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDQyLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDM3LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDQzLmpwZw-1.jpg

Right

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDQwLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDM5LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDM4LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDQ0LmpwZw.jpg

Hinds (BF for over 3 years)

Left

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDQ5LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDQ4LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDQ3LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDUxLmpwZw.jpg

Right

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDQ1LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDQ2LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDUwLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjMwLTAwMDUyLmpwZw.jpg

Let me know what you think :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not very good at these sort of threads - unless its glaringly obvious I tend to miss it.

Has he got some sort of flare going on with the right hind? It doesnt look equal on both sides to me??

Actually, looking at the fronts, do they almost look as though they have been trimmed a bit pidgeon toed??

Great to hear he is so good with the backs off - fingers crossed the fronts toughen up too! I've got Arnies shoes off just now for a wee trial. Jury is still out though :l

I'm not very good at these sort of threads - unless its glaringly obvious I tend to miss it.

Has he got some sort of flare going on with the right hind? It doesnt look equal on both sides to me??

Actually, looking at the fronts, do they almost look as though they have been trimmed a bit pidgeon toed??

Great to hear he is so good with the backs off - fingers crossed the fronts toughen up too! I've got Arnies shoes off just now for a wee trial. Jury is still out though :l

Both his back feet are out due to the right hock having arthritis, the fronts he was standing like a pidgeon toed twonk :redcarded: BUT he does have a deviation on the right fore which the vet *thinks* is contributing to the funny striding I am getting occasionally as hes now and then twisting the foot round rather than placing it flat.....

Also hoping that it helps his hock if being BF helps the deviation and lets the foot sort itself out :wink:

Thanks SM :D How long has arnie been BF now?? Was he footy?? K seems to be sound at the moment *fingers crossed AND touching wood* :wink:

Aha - I was right then!! :D

Arnie has had his shoes off since the end of november. He was very footy to start with but watching him playing in the school last night made me think he was fine :D. His movement looked a lot better. He had bother with one of his hocks when he was younger and I worry about it. He has to have non slip nails or he's like Bambi on ice so I am hoping bare feet will help??? I'm hoping to at least keep the backs off but I'll play it by ear. He hasnt been ridden for 6 weeks so I dont know how he'll be with me on board.

I really hope it works for K having his front feet bare this time round. What happened with him the last time? I know you managed to get him spot on with his back feet but you had to put the fronts back on?

Aha - I was right then!! :D

Arnie has had his shoes off since the end of november. He was very footy to start with but watching him playing in the school last night made me think he was fine :D. His movement looked a lot better. He had bother with one of his hocks when he was younger and I worry about it. He has to have non slip nails or he's like Bambi on ice so I am hoping bare feet will help??? I'm hoping to at least keep the backs off but I'll play it by ear. He hasnt been ridden for 6 weeks so I dont know how he'll be with me on board.

I really hope it works for K having his front feet bare this time round. What happened with him the last time? I know you managed to get him spot on with his back feet but you had to put the fronts back on?

Its his tendons, due his feet being knackered by a bad farrier, so when i went BF I think he just couldnt handle it and he went really lame and his tendons swelled :cry: so the fronts went back on.

But we are tring a different approach for the feet this time and instead of whapping them the way we want them (ie off with the toes and heels under) we are going to let them chip and sort themselves out and just tidythem up and shape them as he wears them himself :) Hoping that will produce a foot more to his needs (deviations) AND not irritate his tendons as much. Also he will be able to take more weight with the backs with them not being sore as well so hoping this has an impact.

Also he will be getting more pessoa work than riding for the next 8 weeks so wont have my weight on his tootsies either but will have to walk along the road for about 500 yards to get to the school so will be getting some tarmac action to toughen them up as well :)

Totally different approach than last time :)

newrider.com