Brat. Sigh

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
Robin has decided it is spring and so he wants to be out 24/7. He is happy to come in for tea then is demanding out. He is being horrible and if I ask him to step back from the door once I have asked him a million times. He is 2 months early. Every year he decides when he wants to
go out. There must be more grass than it seems as they are head down every time I look. The field is very dry, even the gate is dry. It is normally a bog by now. We haven’t had rain for weeks and normally most nights there is ice. Not this year. We are not allowed hay in the field, if we were I would Chuck him out. In fact I’m tempted to Chuck him out on his own and see how long he lasts. A few of us as thinking chuck out. He is being a brat and needs to get over himself. I am still waiting for the beast from the east. This weather is so far from normal it is scarey.

Luka decided in early December that he wanted to be out, and he isn't as polite a brat as Robin. He's out! But I can hay the field as much as I like, and that flexibility was why I moved to this yard. I have no doubt that if we get a wet spell he'll want back in!

I think Robin would just rage at me for not stopping the rain 😂. His buddy’s mum is getting fed up of early starts so they may be out shortly.

• Haha
Reactions: carthorse
Yes it seems to be that time of year when they're getting fed up and restless. We don't have any grass growing to speak of and I'm told the weather is going to take a downward turn, so they have a good few weeks to wait yet. As soon as he can smell the new grass starting Raf will refuse to eat his hay, that's the next problem to contend with.

Very strangely Belle really doesn’t seem to mind being in right now, normally she’s champing at the bit to stay out but not this year, she’s just starting to feel her age a bit I think 🤔

He is still being a brat. I think the wanting out wasn’t the issue as when I went up tonight he was in and munching away perfectly happy. As soon as he saw me he kicked off.

I was so happy to ride again after 2 weeks off. He was horrible 😟. I thought his hocks were bothering him so got injected. Seems not. I got back and turfed him back out before I lost my temper. He stood and screamed to come back in. I have no idea what the issue is but he is grumping at me constantly.

I brought in at lunchtime just to get on - it's still a problem some days - and I can honestly say if he'd come in like he led back out I wouldn't have bothered! I'm not sure what the heck he thought that pace was :eek:

In my dreams! Current game is he waits until I'm just about to get on then sidles a couple of steps away. Every, Ruddy. Time. And I swear he smirks!

Sounds about right! It’s amazing how the provision of a polo once I was on and girth done worked. He now turns his head and opens his mouth, but makes no attempt to take it, I have to poke it in and off we go!

Tried all that but it doesn't work, he isn't that greedy. Once I'm on he'll stand like a rock though. He did get better in the summer when he was ridden more often, hence the idea of even if I'm not riding trying to at least get on and seeing if that helps.

When I got him he would stand until foot in stirrup and he would run backwards and to the left into the mounting block which I never understood. When I asked old owner he said he would just get on as he was moving and would sort girth etc on the move. Being fatter, much shorter (stirrups went up 8 holes) and not fit I decided I wasn’t up for that. It took a while but we got there. It was very much like once he made the decision himself that he was ready to stand he stood like a rock but it sometimes took a while for him to make that choice 😂 He know gets very pointed and will not move if I ask him to move before he gets his polo! We sometimes have a drama if he drops the polo and he panics until I get another one out.

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com