******Boxing problems********

minihorse

I am no Monty Roberts so need some hints advice on Boxing.the wee

guy..Its not the getting the pony in its getting pony out..

The little pony took me 2 mins to get him in box and near 4 hours to get him out.

and that was with a little help from the vet.Hes young 1yr old does know how to lead etc.

fine at home but will stand fixed to box floor if I do move him he will rear up then run back. If I leave him for a mom. he will rear up and throw himself backwards..

Can I ask you for some hints on how to get him out please

Is it out of a trailer?
Can you borrow one with a front ramp and then just lead him through and then slowly start closing him in?
Well done you for starting him so young!!! Wish someone had with mine, would make life a lot easier!!

Is it out of a trailer?
Can you borrow one with a front ramp and then just lead him through and then slowly start closing him in?
Well done you for starting him so young!!! Wish someone had with mine, would make life a lot easier!!

Its a horsebox low ramp etc.I am so upset as want to show him this year
missed out before as could not get him unloaded felt a right doughball .
had no problems with the 2 and 3 year olds they all love to box .

Is he worried about being in the trailer and freezing? If he leads and loads well could you start by part loading him and immediately asking him to come off and gradually build up how far you ask him to load and how long? Not heard of one like this before!

Is he worried about being in the trailer and freezing? If he leads and loads well could you start by part loading him and immediately asking him to come off and gradually build up how far you ask him to load and how long? Not heard of one like this before!

Thank you Yann will try that,to tell you the truth i was in a bit of a state
when first got pony as have had lots of youngsters that wont box.However
none that wont come out box.was in tears when I got him and could not get him out of box after 4 hours i had to give in by this time pony had reared thrown himself backwards onto ground and took rope out of my hands and ran box walls banging himself off sides.

Make simulations in the field ie a board for a ramp, a wide jump for the stall etc. Play with the individual items and see if he is unconfident about a particular thing. Remember to put him forwards and backwards (thro and over) the obstacles.

It may be the same thing as my horse when we first put him in a horsebox.

He was fine in a trailor and would load perfectly but to unload he would jump the ramp, whihc was very scary and very dangerous. Our YO (old racing lad) said he thought he was not reading the ramp going down away from him correctly so he sat with him in the box for ages then fed him carrots on the floor, then sat with him again, then attached a lunge line to give him space, put carrots on the floor and on the ramp (all over, not just in a line) and let him find his way down.

After a few times repeating that he was fine and has been fine ever since (8 years).

I reiterate what Yann said. It'll take time and practice but ultimately will build his confidence. Walk him partly up ramp, stand on ramp, lead off. When he's mastered that with no hesitations walk him so his front feed are in box and back feet on ramp, and lead off- again repeat repeat repeat! Then stand him in box with no partitions, just an open box etc repeat and unload, then finally pop him in as you would if you were going to a show, fasten him in, then as soon as you've done up, undo!

Repeat that exercise increasing the time between putting him in and taking him out- no need to drive box anywhere- eventually he should be happy in there for a while and happy to come out.

Do all this with lots of fuss and praise!!

newrider.com