Bought my first horse (subjet to vetting)

susysu

Jun 25, 2007
yippee, went and saw this one yesterday and fell in love

17 years old but i think ideal for my first horse at the grand old age of 40!

just got to keep my fingers crossed for vetting this friday!

Attachments

• DSCF0121.jpg
    DSCF0121.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF0124.jpg
    DSCF0124.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 100
He looks lovely, I too am wanting an older horse when I am ready for my first. How tall is he, breed, training, personality etc. :D

nice horse

hope the vetting goes well! hes/shes lovley! (forgot whether u said it was a he or a she lol)

new hoss

dont want to rain on yr parade - BUT - 17 is young for a well looked hoss but it depends on the life they have had & having bought a 15 yr old a couple of yrs ago - they can be a real problem to sell on as they have almost no value & they runnig costs can be much higher than a younger hoss 0 but hope veting goes well - it is v exciting buying a ponio:)

An older horse will be great for you, I have a 16yr old and a 20yr old (although have had them 12-13yrs) hope you have a great future together good luck with the vetting.

hi, bought my first horse when i was 43, he was 20, but rode like a ten yr old, took me a couple of months to get to know him, but best thing i ever did, good luck with the vetting.

thanks guys

trying not to get too excited but the week is dragging!

as long as he's sound i'm not worried about his age. if he's ok and we get him then he will be us for life so i wont be worried about the fact that
he wont have any value to sell him on cos i wont be selling him. i would just like to get a few years riding him and then anything after that will be a bonus.

he's done jumping, xc,dressage, sponsored rides etc etc.he is forward going but a real gentleman and apparently has restored many nervous riders confidence. went for a hack with the owner on him and he really was bomb-proof as cars, lorries, bikes, barking dogs and donkeys went past us, he didnt bat an eye at any of them.

well done for such a great attitude to his age:D hope the vetting goes fine
i'm the proud owner of a 28 year old welsh cob who's still going strong :)

Yummy, what a lovely horse! 17 is nothing - I know it does depend what they've done etc and what kinda life they've had but a friend of mine had to part company with her 4 year old - as it had terrible health problems - so I don't think age need be an issue. You're like us - we bought OH's horse and he's got a home for life (he's 17 soon).

Edited to add: don't be fooled by the age tho, OH's Joe can give anybody a run for his money - he's a total split personality, anybodies plod sometimes but if he's not in the mood, he's running in the 2.30 from Cheltenham......!!!!

Trewsers, I have one like that and she's 20, I keep telling her she should know better but I guess she think she does lol

newrider.com