Bot Eggs

Mollypops

Nov 17, 2007
Can anyone recommend something to get rid of bot eggs? Was thinking of a razor? Theres millions of the things on my horses legs. What a pain in the bum they are this year. Anyone else's horse having problems with them?

Grooming block works well. I did come across a lotion that helped to remove them and also stopped them from sticking so a preventative too. Can't remember what or where I found it now. We have no bots where I am. Previous yard a few miles away we had loads. No idea why they don't like us. Pleased about it though.

Try spraying the coat with an oil based spray, makes it harder for the eggs to stick. Otherwise razor, bot knife or block all work - makes sure you wash your hands really well afterwards, have read somewhere that humans can be affected if eggs are ingested (another good reason not to bite your nails!)

Yep Bot knife, a couple of quid from the tack shop, lay the flat end flat agains the coat and scrape gently down.

They come off really easily and i love doing it!!! Yes im weird however its so satisfying :D:eek:

Gx

Luckily ours haven't started yet, but in the past I've had great success simply by keeping the legs coated in pig oil & sulphur -- makes the eggs impossible to stick + the sulphur would probably kill them anyway ...

newrider.com