Boots

In my experience, I've seen them routinely used in riding schools - hence my comment, as I believed it to be relevant to a RS rider irrespective of the cost of their boots.

I'd say its entirely personal preference @JodieB - I prefer caged stirrups as I find them more comfortable. I've ridden dressage, jumped and hacked miles in them - but equally, routinely ride quite happily ride in non-caged stirrups as well. I wouldn't overthink what stirrups you ride in at this stage:)

Reactions: carthorse
Never used them myself but years ago i had a mountain bike which had toe clips similar to caged stirrups. They were great for people cycling up hills. As stopped your foot slipping forward in the stirrup and you could also put more pressure on through your toes. One day on broke, and it was just awful. My foot slipped forward. It was harder pedalling up the hill. You suddenly realise how much support they provide. So i can liken riding a bike in toe clips to caged stirrups.

We have caged stirrups where I am learning. The RI said that they got them because they are good for beginners as they stop your foot slipping forward. I have had some group lessons elsewhere that don't use them and think they probably do help to keep your foot in place as a beginner. Don't know if they are a good or bad thing though as I suppose if you get used to them and then don't have them it might make a difference. I am sure some of you experienced riders would be able to comment on what you think about that?
I have always felt safety was top priority. So it is good that you are taught with them. The 8 riding schools i have been to over the years did not have them. I can report only my own experience of learning. Learn to ride in anything and everything. So long as it is safe and you are safety conscious.

As for whether it is good or bad - learning to ride is a long process and you shouldnt be frightened either at the RS that has normal non safety stirrups. I hack in safety stirrups but have all my lessons in normal ones. RS riders need to be adaptable as each time we get on a new horse we have to get used to new tack. And get used to checking it for safety too.

Reactions: Huggy
Echoing many sentiments here, investing in riding boots that have good grip are important long-term. But having a good set of stirrups gives an extra measure of safety and will help you ride better. Horse Rookie has a great roundup of stirrups ranked on grip/comfort/safety/price that really explains different things to look for in a quality stirrup >> https://horserookie.com/best-stirrups-for-jumping/

Reactions: Huggy
Interesting but looks like a USA site, with Brands not on sale here and these are jump stirrups. I have never jumped. I chose not to.

That's actually a good link for comparing different types of stirrups, and while it says for jumping I don't see why any of them couldn't be used for most other disciplines and indeed many are. The Royal Rider ones, which along with American Equus I hadn't heard of, actually look the same as the ones I got from Premier Equine and really like for hacking. I can't ever see me spending that much money on a pair of stirrups though!

Repeating numerous slants here, putting resources into riding boots that have great hold are significant long haul. Yet, having a decent arrangement of stirrups gives an additional proportion of security and will help you ride better. Pony Rookie has an incredible gathering of stirrups positioned on grasp/solace/security/value that truly discloses various things to search for in a quality stirrup.......

Post edited by Carthorse to remove linj that isn't relevant to thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Repeating numerous slants here, putting resources into riding boots that have great hold are significant long haul. Yet, having a decent arrangement of stirrups gives an additional proportion of security and will help you ride better. Pony Rookie has an incredible gathering of stirrups positioned on grasp/solace/security/value that truly discloses various things to search for in a quality stirrup....... LINK REMOVED AS NOT RELEVANT
This is really a question. Why grippy stirrups? I was always terrified of grippy stirrups. In every fall I shook my feet free. No sticky seat jods either. Mary Poppins convinced me not to be glued to a bolting horse. My best boots are smooth too.

Repeating numerous slants here, putting resources into riding boots that have great hold are significant long haul. Yet, having a decent arrangement of stirrups gives an additional proportion of security and will help you ride better. Pony Rookie has an incredible gathering of stirrups positioned on grasp/solace/security/value that truly discloses various things to search for in a quality stirrup....... LINK REMOVED AS NOT RELEVANT
That is a very odd link. Are you some kind of advertiser?

That is a very odd link. Are you some kind of advertiser?

@Jane&Ziggy I'll leave the post as it is semi relevant, but I'll remove the link in the post, and in the quotes if I can, since you're right and it's completely off topic. Feel free to report anything like this, I don't always read every post so it makes my life easier and hopefully the forum better for people.

This is really a question. Why grippy stirrups? I was always terrified of grippy stirrups. In every fall I shook my feet free. No sticky seat jods either. Mary Poppins convinced me not to be glued to a bolting horse. My best boots are smooth too.

I think it's personal preference. If you look at a lot of stirrups used for jumping and xc they have very grippy treads since the riders really don't want to lose a stirrup which could easily turn to a fall or valuable time lost. I'm with you, if I'm going to come off I prefer to come off as cleanly as possible, but I can see the other side of it too and I'd no doubt feel differently if I was riding a large xc course and didn't want to lose a stirrup because of splash from a water jump.

@Jane&Ziggy I'll leave the post as it is semi relevant, but I'll remove the link in the post, and in the quotes if I can, since you're right and it's completely off topic. Feel free to report anything like this, I don't always read every post so it makes my life easier and hopefully the forum better for people.
Thanks @carthorse, I will. The ways of trolls are many and strange!

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com