Boots

JodieB

Dec 12, 2019
Just a question about boots. I have only started learning to ride a short while ago and bought just some second hand cheap jodhpur boots. However, my lessons are outside and its very muddy and wet underfoot and I am also finding I am getting cold feet. I have seen a lot of boots on line described as "country/yard boots" which are longer. They look like they would be really cosy and warm but is it OK/safe to ride in these as they have more tread on the soles than the jodhpur boots seem to.

Thanks,

It is a no win situation as all boots designed for riding need smooth soles and are somewhat slippy in mud and on ice.

The question of cold feet is potentially more serious. I was warned about it after my first ever hack which was in freezing snowy weather. And in short cheap boots like yours. If one dismounts with very cold feet one can break a bone in one's foot. You need your feet warm - layers are a good idea. Nice thick socks with thermal socks underneath may be enough to keep your feet warm with your existing boots.
Or if you can buy winter boots with a bit of a lining in the boot itself. I have Mountain horse lined short lace up boots. But one still needs the two pairs of socks in cold weather.
As a little extra - Our RI encourages us to spread and wriggle our toes when riding. It loosens the joints in one's feet so keeps one supple and relaxed as one rides.

My jodhpur boots certainly don't have smooth soles.

Your best of asking your riding school directly @JodieB . I happily ride in country boots, but your riding school may specify certain boots for insurance purposes.

You can also get insulated jodhpur boots - ranging from the cheap and cheerful to the more expensive ;)

I wear a pair of short ankle socks then thicker ones over the top when I ride. I only ride in thin soled boots as that is what I prefer. I do change before and after I ride in to warmer willies or country bootd=s

I hack out in country boots, but they don't give much flexibility around the ankle so I don't have lessons in them. You could try thermal insoles in your jodhpur boots, I used to have some in my wellies and they made the world of difference. It might change the fit of your boot though.

I'd go for thermal insoles in your boots and a pair of thick wooly tights under your jods, often cold feet can be helped by keeping your legs warm. Any time you can wiggle your toes do, and if you're allowed to take your feet out the stirrups to circle your ankles or carefully swing your legs then do. If you're still riding next year then maybe invest in some better riding boots with a thermal lining for winter.

I don't like country boots for riding, to me they're too loose fitting and don't offer any support. That's just my opinion though and I know many people ride in them, I'd rather have either long riding boots or short boots and chaps.

Muck boot co. boots - lovely and comfy AND warm! I'll definitely invest in another pair when mine die. (I've got the long ones)

For those riding in boots without smooth soles, the reason I dont recomend it is that I once fell and my foot was caught in the stirrup.
A second point - I bought a lovely pair of Ariat Western boots with a rubber sole in USA and the next time we went to USA, the Western riding centres had started banning rubber soled boots.
I use mine for yard work in summer and watching polo where they tend to be admired.

I think there are pros and cons with completely smooth soled boots. Yes there is marginally less risk of getting your foot caught in a stirrup with smooth soles, but if they are wet or dirty then there's a greater risk of losing a stirrup when riding - this is a real issue if riding on wet ground at pace where dirt flicks up onto boots and for this reason I've known eventers wrap stirrups in vetwrap to increase grip for xc and also the increasing trend for "cheesegrater" treads. Having said that it isn't safe to ride in boots with a heavy tread. Also if the safety bar on a saddle is set properly then in the event of a fall the stirrup leather should release to free the rider.

Get boots that are comfortable and supportive in the saddle, I don't think it makes that much difference if they're smooth soled or have a slight tread. I confess to having winter and summer boots to try and keep my feet warm in the winter, though I still ended up with cold feet hacking yesterday.

I happily ride in country boots, but your riding school may specify certain boots for insurance purposes.
I ride in country boots, or my steel toe cap lace up work boots with chaps. They are warmer than jod boots.
I dont find jod boots comfy myself but they are a wee bit on the big side for me my ones so i have insoles in which make them warmer or extra pair of socks.

Autocorrect does have a problem with wellies (snigger) :D
Wondered what you were on about till i read. Made me laugh.

Reactions: Bodshi
Lots of good ideas there, I just wanted to add a recommendation for the Nuumed sheepskin insoles, I suffer terribly with cold feet (even in the summer) and those really help keep my feet warm :)

I ride and do everything else in my Ariat Grasmere boots. Although some riding schools may not be keen on you wearing them so probably best to check the rules.

Get some warm wellies to wear around the yard and change into your riding boots to ride, I have serious issues with cold feet and the only thing that works for me are the mycoal foot warmers, I honestly couldn’t function without them.

Reactions: Huggy
For those riding in boots without smooth soles, the reason I dont recomend it is that I once fell and my foot was caught in the stirrup.
A second point - I bought a lovely pair of Ariat Western boots with a rubber sole in USA and the next time we went to USA, the Western riding centres had started banning rubber soled boots.
I use mine for yard work in summer and watching polo where they tend to be admired.

Good point about safety, but it also depends upon your stirrups.

I have caged stirrups, as what I find comfortable for longer distance hacks - so my feet can't get stuck regardless of the soles.

I'd be a liability out hacking with smooth soled boots, as I'd hit the deck on the floor, I suspect ...! :D

This is a question from someone taking their first lessons, probably on a RS horse. I have never seen caged stirrups at a RS. Some RS horses have Peacock safety stirrups but one is not supposed to use those for adults above 9 stone 8.
The odd result is that I use and always have used completely normal stirrups in a riding lesson. I dont take my own safety stirrups unless hacking.

Learning to ride in standard straight stirrups was deliberate on my part. I wanted to be able to ride in standard normal UK RS tack. So I can turn up anywhere and have a lesson.
And like the OP, I started with very cheap boots and jods as no one can be certain they will go on riding.

We have caged stirrups where I am learning. The RI said that they got them because they are good for beginners as they stop your foot slipping forward. I have had some group lessons elsewhere that don't use them and think they probably do help to keep your foot in place as a beginner. Don't know if they are a good or bad thing though as I suppose if you get used to them and then don't have them it might make a difference. I am sure some of you experienced riders would be able to comment on what you think about that?

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com