Boots

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'm not a believer that boots support legs, but that they are detrimental by causing over heating and that they should only be minimally used for impact protection on a horse that interferes, so I'm wrestling with wanting some boots for Jess.

She has caught her right hind a several times recently, both in the field and when out hacking, she doesn't generally interfere but I think with her new found silly spooky behaviour she's forgetting how to control her legs! That and she's still a hormonal wench about the boy next door :rolleyes:

She's caught the lower fetlock, pastern and coronet, so I'm thinking a sausage boot is probably the way to go, but that won't help the higher bits will it? so maybe fetlock boots would be better?

I've got pro choice wraps full set including skid boots from when we were reining and Clarendon dressage boots, both make her legs hot and sweaty in no time so I don't use them unless I expect she will be doing something to tax her much more than normal. They're the best I've found, tried various others but none much cop, the only ones I did like we're the stretch and flex as she didn't get hot in them but they don't offer much bump protection.

Any recommendations for minimal but effective coverage, well ventilated boots?

Last edited:
Anything neoprene will create heat.
My ki could try putting some cool gel in before the boots go on to help with the heat issues. How ever I have gone on 8hr rides in the mid summer wth boots on (fast and furious) and never had an issue with tendons over heating.

Reactions: Jessey
I've got a set of Le Mieux mesh brushing boots http://www.lemieuxproducts.com/equi...work-boots/pro-sport-mesh-brushing-boot-black that do seem a bit cooler than solid neoprene boots, but having said that I don't have a big problem with hot or sweaty legs anyway. The protection on them seems good since there's a large leather strike pad.

I think that for LU the risk of him hitting himself with his show off action is far higher than him damaging a tendon from overheating. Having said that in the field he isn't booted because if he can't sort his legs out when no-one is telling him what to do & affecting his balance then I despair - watching him come across the field some days I do feel like shutting my eyes though!!!

I've got some professional choice endure all boots for Kiki and they are slightly less sweaty than the SMB2 boots that I have, and get less bits stuck on them.
What about sheepskin lined boots, might wick some of the sweat away?

It's weird, isn't it.... we are all warned about not overheating tendons, cold-hosing etc, YET.... feathered cobs don't seem prone to problems. You'd think all that hair would be very warm....

I think unless boots are on for a considerable amount of time they shouldn't cause any problems to the tendons. I used open front tendon boots for show jumping. Hacking I used le mieux brushing boots all round and with knee boots. I used to use the sport support boots a lot on Bailey but not used these much in recent years. They seemed to work well for him, never had a leg problem except ringbone with age and he wore them nearly every ride.
I don't think boots will support the legs but will protect against knocks and stikes which could cause an injury. When I look at all the scratches my boots have on them I've been glad I've had them on.
Not sure what to put on the new horse, don't think she's ever worn a pair of boots so not tried any yet. Plan on doing a fair bit of cross country though so will probably have her in the PE xc boots. You can get air cooled boots so maybe worth looking at.

What about sheepskin lined boots, might wick some of the sweat away?
The clarendon are leather with sheepskin lining.

I know lots of people use boots a lot without tendon problems but the scientific studies still win out for me, that and how sweaty jess's legs get with boots.

I used the clarendon's when we were at the coast for a 30 minute walk and left them on for maybe an hour while we packed up as I'd forgotten her fly boots, when I took them off the legs were totally wet underneath.

Maybe I should try her in bandages and spacer material (like husk), I use that under her saddle as it makes a huge difference to how hot her back gets.

I don't like the sheepskin boots personally or clarendons. I think you need to weigh up the risks, boots on for a hack/Cross country are highly unlike to overheat the tendons if your horse is likely to knock him/herself that risk is worth it. If your horse very rarely knocks itself then maybe don't bother. I wouldn't of taken my old Connie cross country without boots, the risk of a strike injury was far greater than over heating the tendons for me. We used to have cold water and ice which was used for his legs after show jumping and cross country, but we were really careful with him and he was jumping some big fences.
Thanks @Jessey you've reminded me to take another look at the husk boots as I'm a bit leg paranoid and liked the idea of low heating with protection.

Well for anyone that know me they know I also boot or bandage and have never (runs to touch wood) had an issue with tendons. He does not brush but as our hacking is in wood land over fallen trees and tracks he has cut himself with his stupidly thin skin so I boot to hack. I boot for XC for the same reason @Lissie does and the same again for SJ. The boy is schooled hard on the flat 4 times a week for a good hour after 15 minutes of walk and trot walk up we barely leave canter and trot just for a nice stretch down he is always bandaged unless the weather is stupid hot and I have a lesson.

I too have read the tech reports but I look around all the big and small events and pretty much all the riders bandage/boot for the flat warm up and then remove before entering. To be honest if I had someone on the ground with me I too would.

Ginger has just got over a leg injury the vet has no idea what caused it or what it was. His fetlock swelled up three times its size so we cold hose treated etc 4 days later she told me to get back on in walk and trot only but to bandage to aid support.

Sorry I really wasn't asking what everyone else does, I'm not going to change my mind on boots based on anecdotal evidence when there is scientific evidence to the contrary because my horse has a particular problem with overheating. I don't mean that rudely, its just not the question I was asking :)

Im really after specific reccomdations for minimal but effective coverage, well ventilated boots? :)

Last edited:
newrider.com