Boot pros and cons

capalldubh

May 26, 2006
I am a bit gutted as (following the self-destruction of one of my G2s) I measured up horsey and have found that his foot is 6inches at widest point and 4 3/4 inches long - and Renegades only come in these sizes:
Size 00: length 4 3/4", width at widest point 4 3/16".
Size 0: length 5", width at widest point 4 9/16".
Size 1: length 5 1/4", width at widest point 4 3/4".
Size 2: length 5 1/2", width at widest point 5".

So Jackson clearly has very strange shaped feet. He is half way between trims, though, so not sure if they should be measured the day of a trim?

So - allowing that we might not be able to get Renegades, what are people's favourite boots?

I have had the G2s for over a year now, and we get on OK with them in summer, although they are a bit of a faff with the annoying strap and buckle (impossible when muddy) and need a bit of wiggling to get on. They are a b****r to clean though, as I don't have running water at the field and have to trek them home and wash in the bath :rolleyes: which does not endear me with OH.

So - Easyboots? Cavallos (they do look easy to put on)? Am I better sticking with the G2s as trimmer can bring a new pair in 3 weeks time?

With feet that wide original old macs are likely to be the best fit, but it is best to measure them straight after a trim. The straps are a much less stupid length on them than on G2s as well.

I love my Cavallo "Simple boots." My hoof trimmer fits a couple of different kinds, and those were the only ones I could easily get off and on. I've had no trouble with them coming off while riding or rubbing anywhere, but I admit my hacking is pretty conservative (no galloping through thick mud!).

Are you sure about those measurements? What size G2's were they? In theory they shouldn't have worked on feet as wide as that:confused:

G2's are horrible in mud, I've been there and got the t shirt too with that one, if you do have to do a lot of mud and your feet aren't as misshaped as you think then Easyboot Grips would be worth a look.

There are some wider than long Renegades in the offing though, and larger sizes eventually so you never know :)

I don't know, Yann, I'm going to remeasure - but recently it has been difficult to get the fronts into the G2s, needs lots of wiggling around, even a week after a trim. It is the fronts he has had all the problems with over the last four months - not putting weight on heels, nasty central sulci, heels contracting, abscesses, big quarter cracks - so maybe they did end up a strange shape (we seem to have sorted most of these over the last month or so, so sulci closing up, crack maybe growing out a bit, putting weight on heels again, fingers crossed). We had x-rays with the abscesses a few weeks ago and everything inside seems to be OK, angles OK, sole thickness not bad, but one heel a bit higher than the other in a funny way.

I'm not giving up on the renegades just yet :p I will measure again and take photos ;) In the meantime, I have used a lot of araldite where the rivet should be and have threaded a strap through the buckle keepers that seems to be holding things on.

Ok they are definitely 6" across :(

I know they're not at their best after a bad few months (you can see the hole where the vet excavated the abscess just inside the WL on the left front.
DSC00099.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

and the right front with the notch out from the big quarter crack:
DSC00098.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

So should they get smaller as the heels (hopefully) go back? It's a bit ironic, as one of the (many) vets who saw him over the last few months said he had feet that were conformationally too small for him :rolleyes:
BTW feel free to comment and make suggestions - I know they're not great, too flat, heels went forward when he lost the heel first landing, frog still not very nice (but you can see the bottom of the clefts now)...

ETA last trim 4 weeks ago, next trim 26th this month...

Last edited:
J's back feet just about squeeze into the G2s. Fronts have no chance (although actually haven't tried them for a while). I hate them, and although my bank balance is upset that Dyl broke them I am secretly quite chuffed that I can just about justify getting some different ones soon! In their current broken state they are even more annoying - because they aren't attached at the front i can't get them tight enough and they're turning when we ride :rolleyes:

I wouldn't buy them again, they just annoy me too much. I love the boas to be honest, but i wish they had better grip upfront. They're great on the roads but not so good in the mud.

I do like the look of renegades although it looks as though it might be difficult to get them exactly right - could be wrong though!

The saddlery shop are pretty good at helping you get the right fit if you have measurements and do that trial thing too.

These hosses don't realise how spoilt they are :cool::D

These hosses don't realise how spoilt they are

Tell me about it :rolleyes: Jackson's shoes cost more than I have ever spent on a pair of shoes for myself, and I used to have a bit of a thing for Prada (before I went and bought a hoss, that is ;)).

All is explained (I think...) :) If the position of the tape in the photo is representative of your measurement then you're actually measuring to the wrong place - it should really be to where the last weight bearing part of the heel would be if they were in the ideal position, something like this

DSC00098.jpg

My guess is that they're actually slighty longer than wide in boot fit terms, and possibly too big for G2's (or Grips). A bare with a replacement buckle and extra tread cut into the sole might be the way to go, it's what I use on Rio.

Ah, my line was current rearmost weightbearing area, not ideal heel position :D
We are in size 7 G2s at the mo, the fronts are definitely a faff to get on, but once on seem fine and don't twist or anything.
They did say on the Renegade site that they could shorten the boots lengthwise, so I was kinda hoping we could squeeze into the 5" width fittings and get the length cut down, but I guess not :eek:

Maybe better wait and have a chat with trimmer - but I am rather tired of wiggling G2s on the fronts and judging by how Jackson stomped down his foot the last few times, so is he :D

Will go off and have a look at the Bares...

newrider.com