Books on lateral work and basic schooling?

I got Mary Wanless' Ride with your Mind and found it very easy to understand and work through. I have lent it to an adult friend of mine who is learning to ride to try and explain in other ways what I was trying to teach him on the horse. Would definately recommend, even for a 14 yo.

If pennies could stretch that far how about a sub to a mag like horse magazine? or Horse & Rider. Has a lot of schooling and lateral work normally well explained as well as lots of different techniques in general etc. A bit about horse care AND news and stuff which will keep a 14yr old interested.

I got Mary Wanless' Ride with your Mind and found it very easy to understand and work through. I have lent it to an adult friend of mine who is learning to ride to try and explain in other ways what I was trying to teach him on the horse. Would definately recommend, even for a 14 yo.

I'd be a bit careful with Mary W; I find her quite incomprehensible, and so do several other people I know. From what I hear, she seems to be brilliant teacher, just a very difficult writer.

The Pony Club Manual of Horsemanship is still good for basic descriptions of aids and movements; otherwise anything by Jenni Loriston-Clark is good, and so is Pippa Funnell. It depends what she wants to learn, really; Richard Maxwell and Kelly Marks are brilliant, but they're not talking about schooling in the traditional sense, and Sylvia Loch is brilliant on classical dressage, and very inspiring, but I found it very difficult to follow here instructions with enough subtlety.

How about something old school no flim flam, here's what you do kind of book....

Anything by Elwyn Hartley-Davis or classical. From there, your foundations, you can build anything.

What about a decent instructional video rather than a book?

Might help her to see cause and effect as a demonstration rather than having to visualise subtle differences in movement or bend, rider position whilst following the text. Static pictures can sometimes being misleading and only give snap shots.

Only suggesting cos I am actually thinking of getting hold a Silvia Loch DVD as I find her books quite "dry" although I am very interested the technique!

Suppose it depends on how she absorbs information best

Sorry I cant be more help.

I was going to suggest Peggoty Henriques as well but was afraid it might seem a bit oldfashioned!

One of my favourites has diagrams of the horse and where to put legs, rein movement and weight aids for various movements ...it is out in the office at the moment so will give you a name tomorrow!!

I was going to suggest Peggoty Henriques as well but was afraid it might seem a bit oldfashioned!

One of my favourites has diagrams of the horse and where to put legs, rein movement and weight aids for various movements ...it is out in the office at the moment so will give you a name tomorrow!!

That sounds like the perfect book!

Just fetched it from the office bookshelf...it is however fairly old but here is the information:

This is Riding by Gunnar Hedlund ISBN 0 901366-85-4

It covers all phases of a 3 day event but although going to a high level is very accessible through diagrams.

I also think Mary Wanless is hard going and needs a trained RWYM teacher to really comprehend. The German training manual is another good reference book but probably not for someone new to schooling.

Last edited:
I like Heather Moffett but have found the Mary Wanless stuff works for me. I have a RWYM instructor, who is great, and her book "Ride With Your Mind Essentials" stripped away all the incomprehensible stuff in the original book and I thought was much more accessible.

But I would stress it suits me, and I'm a brainbox who thinks far more than is good for her. So perhaps not my first choice for a general purpose book!

For a 14 year old who is intelligent (so doesn't need "kiddified" stuff, but nothing too complex) who is new to schooling :)

Books, websites etc.

I'm sure I've seen a book some where (think I had it but can't find it:stomp:) with that name (Title of your thread)? Oh dear, I have too many books (not read them all yet :redface:

newrider.com