Books/Films that have stayed with you

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Do any of you have a book/film/tv program etc that made a big impact on you? Maybe it wasn't the best book/film you'd ever read/seen but something about it made you think/terrified you/changed the way you did things etc? Something that really gets inside your head and puts a different perspective on things?

Chosen by a Horse is one book that I think about a lot, so is Room by Emma Donaghue (both recommended to me by people on here, thank you!)

Veronika decides to die by Paulo Coelho is a book I really loved when I read it. I can't think of any films :frown: havnt watched any for ages.

Who do you see nurse ( the version by Amanda someone!) - I found it upsetting but it has made me much more patient with my nan who is ever increasingly dependant on others despite her Fierce independence

Mark rashid books horsey wise

Cormac McCarthy's The Road, unfortunately. I wish I had never read it. It is probably a brilliant book, but it is so unsparingly hideous I can't imagine why anyone would want to write it.

Every time now I go for a walk in the pine woods in winter my mind fills up with images from the book. I don't want it to, it just does.

Birdsong, by Sebastian Faulks made me weep, a stunning book. But I've read masses of novels so there are plenty of other that have affected me.

Film wise, 'Don't Look Now' with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie was a bit special, the visual motifs used in it were well thought out.

The film that made me cry the most was Cyrano de Bergerac - even though this was French with subtitles I sobbed my heart out. I don't usually get into foreign language films but Gerard Depardu's acting was obviously so good it didn't matter.

Ooh great thread!

Book wise - Philip Pullman's Dark Materials series - I know it is a teenagers book but I loved it and found the trilogy most thought provoking.
From The Corner Of His Eye - Dean Koontz takes some beating, funny, sad and thrilling plus it opens up another perspective on different worlds and time travel.

Film wise (not strictly a film) LIFE ON MARS. Well, what is not to love / make you think about?!! It changed the way I felt about a LOT of things and the follow on ASHES TO ASHES - what can I say?! Made me think long and hard about life after death and the in-between worlds.

Many of Dean Koontz's novels have had an effect on the way I think - he has so many tales to tell and so many characters to study.

Cormac McCarthy's The Road, unfortunately. I wish I had never read it. It is probably a brilliant book, but it is so unsparingly hideous I can't imagine why anyone would want to write it.

I bought this amd read a chapter or so. It was so utterly dull i had to stop reading it. I then watched the film which was undoubtedly the gloomiest most despairing film i have ever seen. When i think of it now it makes me feel dead inside.

I bought this amd read a chapter or so. It was so utterly dull i had to stop reading it. I then watched the film which was undoubtedly the gloomiest most despairing film i have ever seen. When i think of it now it makes me feel dead inside.

Not jolly viewing then?! Think I will pass on that one...

newrider.com