Books about youngster training

Ace87

Quitus & Strike
Aug 8, 2007
Bedfordshire
Can anyone recommend a really good one? I have a few and I have broken and brought on 3 before but the one I have now is a BURLEY prospect and I cannot afford to screw this up!!

It sounds weird but a really old book I bought in a charity shop called Care & Management of the Competition Horse was the best thing I ever bought it's kept all my horses fit and it's just an amazing book. Sadly I need to get Quitus to that stage first!

I have a lovely one which I think was called "Foal to Five Years" but I have misplaced it :(It was very handy and dealt with baby hood, early handling, the backing and bitting process, early exercises and games to build concentration and dealt with each "step" in training in a methodical manner, whilst not pushing young minds and bodies too hard.

That sounds good Sez, He's just turned 4 and been backed and is starting to ride quite nicely, naturally works long and low, just want to make sure Im doing things properly!

I was brought a rather old book as a birthday present years ago called:
From Paddock to Saddle.

This book, although a bit old school, is fab!.

I have one called training the young horse, goes through most stages of training for RC competition types no good for me as am happy hacker at heart

Is that the Pippa Funnell one, shandy? I have that one, it is aimed at competition horses, still I think it would be useful for any sort of horse: happy hackers still need to be responsive, forward-going, calm, balanced etc - probably more than any other sort of horse.

After all, if a horse doesn't listen to the rider in a competition, you just knock down a fence or lose a few marks. On the roads, if the horse doesn't listen, you're in trouble...

It wasn't my thing more in that it focussed on things in a school and I don't have one :p so had nowhere to practice, have not got any youngsters really anymore as Mills is for sale, so have no need for it atm.

I will have a proper look tonight and get the title

After all, if a horse doesn't listen to the rider in a competition, you just knock down a fence or lose a few marks.

... Or have a rotational fall and break your back, yeah competition horses don't need to listen.

That sounds good Sez, He's just turned 4 and been backed and is starting to ride quite nicely, naturally works long and low, just want to make sure Im doing things properly!

You doing the 4yo Burghley (I assume this is what BURLEY means) YEH classes this year then?

You doing the 4yo Burghley (I assume this is what BURLEY means) YEH classes this year then?

Oh no not this year! Give us a few years to work our way up first! LOL! I've not been competing at a high level for a couple of years, basically since I sent the stallion to stud! But this new one is hopefully going to be my dream horse! Would love to go back to Burgie Horse Trials in Scotland, haven't done that for a few years now!

I bought the training the young horse book for a friend a few years ago, I think I might get it! I need something aimed at competition horses! xx

newrider.com