Book Club: Book 1 - Final Comments

I think this is going to be one of the most influential books on my riding I ever read. The few changes I was able to implement have already changed my riding so much that I have great hopes to become the rider I want to be if I stick with it. After years of plateauing and struggling with the same things I have found the tools to change things for the better.
I think the most important message I took away from MW is this:
Whatever your stage in riding, there is great power in realizing that 'how' is the only missing element.
Riding is not something that is strictly based on talent, etc. It's never too late or never futile to strive for those riding skills we envy others for. It's a matter of how and we all can achieve it with time and practice and most importantly the right 'hows'.
Overall I found the book easy to read and understand. I got a bit frustrated with chapter 9 and wish it was easier to understand.
I guess I am lucky though as I read from some people who bought the book but really couldn't make sense of any of it.
That to me is such a terrible loss for them. They (and their horses) are missing out on so much.

Oh dear, I think the last chapter I read was chapter 8 or so. I need to catch up and post some comments! I do have one comment for today though.

After my long reining lesson today, during which it poured rain and she had to cancel all the rest of her lessons, I was talking to my RI and started telling her about how we could have other types of instruction for the days that we know will be hopelessly rainy. I mentioned all the different tapes I have since there is a tape player in the lounge and she seemed very receptive to the idea of getting together to watch some of them.

The point- when I mentioned the MW tapes, she asked to borrow them so I told her that I had been trying the bearing down part and she said - "now I know why you seemed to change so much in one week!!"

The first week I was consciently working on this was about my 4th lesson and the whole time she kept saying "I can't believe you have gotten so much better in one week without riding". hehehe yay MW!!

On another note, she has introduced some microphone devices that we clip to out boots and so she can sit in the corner and talk to us the whole time we are riding. This is working very well because she can give instructions and explain things right at the moment without yelling things out. Today did not work though because the sound of the rain on the tin arena roof made hearing her impossible.

My driving lesson went very well today. Last time, she demonstrated how much rein pressure I was using by pulling on the reins I was holding and it was Way too much. So today she said I was being much softer and things went very well. Horsie wove in and out of the cones nicely and made a circle inside a small square of poles, etc. Sorry, off topic of this post, oops.

The point- when I mentioned the MW tapes, she asked to borrow them so I told her that I had been trying the bearing down part and she said - "now I know why you seemed to change so much in one week!!"

The first week I was consciently working on this was about my 4th lesson and the whole time she kept saying "I can't believe you have gotten so much better in one week without riding". hehehe yay MW!!

Yay, LJ! :D :)

newrider.com