Bonfire can do Grand Prix!

Tootsie4U

Aug 19, 2002
PA, USA
Visit site
I almost feel bad for sharing all this improvement - there's so many issues out there that I feel like Im rubbing it in-but I just have to tell you this! :D:D I was working Bonfire on the lunge line the other night touching up on balance and transitions. At the end I tried something new... I half halted and asked to go slower and after maybe five tries, he was trotting so slow, so collected, it was almost piaffe! Neat huh? Now, just have to do that under saddle :D:p

BTW, does anyone have any tips appropriate for his stage in training to help him with his tempo under saddle?

Originally posted by Tootsie4U
BTW, does anyone have any tips appropriate for his stage in training to help him with his tempo under saddle?

Hey well done on the "almost" piaffe with that and Safi's airs above the ground we could get together and do a display:D

As for the tempo well my new instructor is really hammering me & Saf on this one - we were all over the place :eek:
Count rythmn out loud - sing! & breathe regularly work on keeping the pace absolutely constant without fiddling - use your seat / legs and back to increase or decrease the tempo.
With trotting make him work to your rising pattern and use lots and lots of directional changes - serpentines, circles etc and do them at any place or time in the schooling sessions so Bon doesn't get to anticipate and quicken.

Can you tell I had a good lesson last night :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad for sharing good things!! It's great to hear Bonfire's progressing so well. It inspires me to keep trying with my one-eyed-git! (Who is actually making slow but steady progress in the right direction now... so hopefully I'll have some achievements of my own to share soon!)

He sounds like a very talented horse. Keep up the good work! :D

Hi Laura Jean,

Thanks :) For Bonfire, a half halt on a lunge line is when I squeeze and raise the line. Since you are theoretically supposed to have a bit of slack in the line when lunging, he can feel this instantly and knows that a request is coming. By squeezing and lifting, it sets him up for the proper bend. He is very good about voice commands, so to also help him out I give my "easy" command which he knows is to slow down and relax.

WHOOOOOOOHOOOO! :D

Way to go! :D He's coming on sooooooooo well! And it sounds like he's growing into a very well-behaved young man :D

When I do a half halt on the lunge, I also raise the whip slightly to drive forward. This is the same concept as the ridden half halt where you need to use seat/leg as well as reins.

I find that without this, just tightening the lunge sometimes makes my mare lift her head a bit.

When working on tempo, you can use a cheap clip-on metronome at a music store, it works very well.

newrider.com