Boett rugs-any experiences?

pitpony

Aug 17, 2007
I'm thinking of investing in one, but two things put me off:

My mare trashes all things rug and £170 is a lot of money!!

Also, they are made by The National Sweet Itch Help Line-I'm always a little suspicious of seemingly advisory organisations with something to sell.

So do you have one? I'd love to hear about all experiences with them, good and bad. Have you found a cheaper version does the job as well?

Thanks all

xx

hi
I had one for a season, which I purchased from a lady who sells them to the icelandic horse owners. They are Boett, but not named!! Therefore I paid about £95 for the rug. It only lasted a season as it stretched & wripped. Also my mare hated the back tummy clip being done up & at some points it would have taken three of us to rug her. I therefore decided it was too much to continue with & have had more success as they are harder wearing with the Riff Raff Rugs all in one with air vents in the shoulder & darts in it for movement.
Personal thought I would never go back to a Boett.
Hope this helps!

I have Boett and DeMeulenkamp (the one for icelandics) They are a godsend, the icelandic ones are cheaper but same sort of design and the same fabric as the Boett. None of the rugs have stretched but the elastic loses its elasticity after a season so I buy it by the metre and replace it every so often (1 to 2 years) Jess is kept in an electric fenced paddock, it wouldn't stand up to rubbing on fences etc. I wouldn't be without one and neither would Jess, she loves having hers put on. I have a boett for one of my donkeys too and a hood, they do them with long ears :) Sweetitch co. are very helpful and do a thick grease, like camrosa, called pure gold. Very expensive but goes a long way, it's good for udder/sheath area which the rug doesn't cover. I think some insurance companies will help with costs.

I have had Boett rugs, they are brilliant as long as you have horse/pony in a paddock with electric fencing. Unfortunately we dont and I got fed up of having to repair the rug. I am now using a rambo sweet itch hoody which is doing the job and is much tougher than the boett

they are not made by the sweet itch helpline people! they merely recommend them! the boett has been around for a long time! albeit, if your mare trashes rugs, i wouldnt invest in a rug that pricey. mind you, im yet to find a SI rug that will withstand barbed wire ...

have you tried a rambo sweet itch hoodie yet? theyre pretty tough and quite good :)

julia
x

I have had Boett rugs, they are brilliant as long as you have horse/pony in a paddock with electric fencing. Unfortunately we dont and I got fed up of having to repair the rug. I am now using a rambo sweet itch hoody which is doing the job and is much tougher than the boett

The same with us, I used boetts for years but had to replace them every year and spent most of the summer sewing them up with my two hefty cobs. They are good and do work but I find the rambo sweetiytch hoodies much more robust and cheaper.

Also agree leccy fencing is essential :)

Belle has the DeMeulankamp rug and it is fantastic and lasts and lasts - tried the pagony but not as impressed - would recommend DeM infact I've just brought a second one to allow me to wash more regularly without leaving Belle naked

Many thanks for the responses so far. Can I ask though-why is leccy fencing so vital? Is it because she could trash it on post and rail? :)

My old boy Dollar used to have a Boett, it was fantastic, the material it was made out of was ideal for repairing (which it often needed). I ended up with two a really tatty one that had been mended far too many times, that one I put on him when the other one needed repairing or washing.

Plaitting thread was perfect for repairs too. He had a normal fly rugs and on one occasion he tore it in half in less than 24 hours and those things you can’t repair so easily!

This was a few years ago now though and I understand you can buy boett type rugs a lot cheaper, people often mention Icelandic ones!

Nope not just them-my girl can trash a rug in about 5 seconds!!! Luckily where I am is leccy fencing and so is the place we're moving to at the end of this month!:)

Hi
We have a boett rug for our highland pony. It has been great as far as it has stopped the itching, but it has rubbed him badly in several places and also has taken out a section of his lovely long mane. I was asked to photograph him in his rug so they could check the fit all seemed fine, and was told he's just got sensitive skin !! but never had a prob with another rug. I'm now awaiting delivery of a snuggy hoods sweet itch body thanks to a pressie from his Granny !! i've heard they are meant to be fab and not rub, fingers crossed !!
Good luck x

-
We have a boett rug for our highland pony. It has been great as far as it has stopped the itching, but it has rubbed him badly in several places and also has taken out a section of his lovely long mane. I was asked to photograph him in his rug so they could check the fit all seemed fine, and was told he's just got sensitive skin !! but never had a prob with another rug. I'm now awaiting delivery of a snuggy hoods sweet itch body thanks to a pressie from his Granny !! i've heard they are meant to be fab and not rub, fingers crossed !!

That's a shame. the elastic around the legs was quite stiff so I put faux sheepskin covers on them. If you want to sell the Boett let me know.

never bother using my boett rug anymore coz it was pain getting on and off and the elastic round the belly part near his sheath seemed to dig in and was scared it'd make him sore.

I now use Rambo sweet itch hoody with a fly mask or my snuggy hoods s.i rug.

Thanks but think i'll keep it as a spare in case of washing or repair of other ! Yeah I've put fleece onto all the areas where it is rubbing. x

[
Thanks but think i'll keep it as a spare in case of washing or repair of other ! Yeah I've put fleece onto all the areas where it is rubbing. x
Today 08:50 PM [/QUOTE]
Ahhh well, worth asking. If anyone else decides they would like to sellone in good condition keep me in mind. Jess is a chunky fell type around 13.2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old pony had one and we loved it. Good fit, never rubbed, yes it did rip but then would rather the rug ripped than pony got tangled/ripped herself. Easy to repair though! Wouldn't have a SI pony again without one. Yes they are pricey but in the long run are cheaper than smothering them in creams.

Ditto the leccy fencing, although our pony ended up so itchy she'd rub herself on the floor :rolleyes: My heart bleeds for SI ponies, must be awful itching 10 months out of the year.

newrider.com