Body protectors

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
Please tell me they soften up with time!

Because I have epilepsy my new RI has insisted I wear one for my lesson next Thursday. Fair enough.... But I've never worn one and I feel like I'm in a straightjacket! I'm wearing it as much as I can to get used to it; the girl who fitted it said it was a good fit and it just needs to wear in a little. And it does seem to fit; I'm just not used to it.

Any thoughts on how to make it more comfortable? :unsure:

Does anyone else here wear one?

When I ride Storm I live in mine!!! Its a Rodney Powell one - wee bit bulky at first but if I change into it before grooming and tacking up then I generally find it wears into me a bit better. Hot weather annoys me tho as its another added layer! I tried wearing it over a thin vest once - bad idea!lol
I generally feel safer in it tho specially if madam has been unemployed for a while and we are getting our mojo back!!

What make is your Chev? I had been humming and harring about a BP for years and finally got one when I took on my loan boy and realised it was a looooong way down from 16.3!

I have to say I am totally used to it now, forget I have it on and wouldn't ride without it.

Put it in the hotpress or airing cupboard near the water tank as this will wamr it up and soften it :wink:

Come on Chev - OH and I wear our bps even in Texas mid day heat. In summer I wear mine over a cotton polo shirt - short sleeved. A T shirt would do. OH always wears long sleeves to ride in. he says Cowboys dont wear short sleeves.
I am assuming yours fits properly? It should be lose enough for you to breathe, yet not slip up and down on you. You shouldnt feel trussed up.
They do soften as they warm up - so I put mine on before driving to the yard. But they dont soften up in use.
OH has Race safe, as it fits him better. I have airowear and so does grand daughter. Because she jumps.
So the RS rules say kids who jump must have bps. OH wears one as his bones may be a bit fragile. And I wear one because I was persuaded by Mary Poppins here on NR. It saved me falling from a canter spook onto tarmac.
But it isnt just the young and the elderly. Other people who wear them out in the mid day sun are the goal judges at Gold Cup Polo matches - fit young men.

I am assuming yours fits properly? It should be lose enough for you to breathe, yet not slip up and down on you. You shouldnt feel trussed up.

We tried a couple before finding this one. She had me sit on a saddle to check the length at the back, move my arms all around and bend forwards and sideways. It just feels so stiff! I think it will just be a case of getting used to it.

As for the heat I've never been good with too much sun. A case of grin and bear it methinks!

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I've more or less just stopped wearing mine after three years of depending on it for my confidence. It restricted my movement so much and I too am fat, with a humongous chest, so I could bend down, couldn't turn around in the saddle, felt like a trussed up turkey if I walked anywhere. I used to put a hot water bottle in it in cold weather so that it didnt feel like cardboard. It will mould /mold (I can't remember which it is and can't check as limited signal) to your shape a bit more as you wear it so it becomes more comfortable, but I have a weak core and find my whole top half wobbles forward as my horse walks giving the impression that I'm bum shuffling or saddle polishing. I hate the damn thing but will wear it when near Tarmac.

Daughter has a Rodney Powell which she wears XC and finds reasoanbly comfortable.

When RS people buy them I usually suggest as TBminx said above, keep somewhere warm and wear around the house, I usually suggest to kids they cycle in theirs!! They do take time to adjust to your shape but the more you wear them the better they get.

I am naughty and wear a lightweight one designed for flat race jockeys, safe enough for my limited riding out these days but with enough protection to stop the worst of the bruising if I fall!!

In your case I wouldn't suggest an airvest as although they are easy to wear in the event of you coming off they tend to leave you stranded on your back until they can be deflated which could prove dangerous.

I have an airowear outlyne and having broken my back 2 years ago I wear mine for anything dangerous though must admit I hunt without one :eek:
Warmth is the key and you just need to get used to it, but must admit I wouldn't fancy it in 30 degrees either!

Don't know what that make feels like to wear but I got a racesafe and after lesson or two got used to it. In this weather (unusual Irish sushine) does get really warm sometimes but I feel safer and more confident with it on.

Ilove my racesafe one as moulds to you so forget there and so soft and flexible plus adjustable and breathable.

I have a racesafe too and I don't notice it's there. I had a bulky one before and it restricted my movement so much that I actually felt less safe wearing it, which defeats the object, I think!

I have a Rodney Powell but really need to replace it soon as it looks so battered. I find that I do find it restrictive when I am not on a horse, but the second I get on I don't notice that I am wearing it. It feels like a second skin to me and I would feel very odd if I didn't have it on.

newrider.com