Body protectors

hoofhearted

Jan 25, 2004
North Wales
Visit site
Went to buy a body protector today but they were all too long at the back. I'm only short (5ft nothing!) - are there any particular makes that are suitable for shorter peeps?

Also any recommendations generally - is zip up front or the side fastenings prefereable or is it just a matter of individual preference? Must say the ones I tried on felt very strange, suppose its just a matter of getting used to wearing one?

A lot of makes do a shorter version if you ask.
I found them really stiff and bulky when i first wore one but they do mould to your shape and you get used to them after a while.
I like the front zip type personally but i suppose its a matter of personal choice.

without looking at mine ( which is always at the yard) i cant remember the make. i got mine from Derby House. i went to the shop and they measured me up. like you i am 5ft 0" and was struggling to find a good fit. they had one made for me. i had the back off a childs size and the chest off an adults ( big boobs but small back...lol) surprisingly enough the price was hardly any different from one straight off the shelf.

without looking at mine ( which is always at the yard) i cant remember the make. i got mine from Derby House. i went to the shop and they measured me up. like you i am 5ft 0" and was struggling to find a good fit. they had one made for me. i had the back off a childs size and the chest off an adults ( big boobs but small back...lol) surprisingly enough the price was hardly any different from one straight off the shelf.

EXACTLY my situation, right down to being short, with a child-sized back (30 inches) but an adult chest. I ended up getting a Rodney Powell one in a size 2WWW (I think that means triple wide :eek:). I'm quite short in the body, so the child size is the perfect length. Price is no different, because it's a child size :)

ive got big chest but small back, i have a childs large which just about fits me ( im a 30DD chest) the only problem ive had with mine so far is that on *one* of the ponies at my RS my bp seems to bash against the saddle, in all fairness its juts one saddle and i don't ride the pony a great deal, but its still abit annoying. mines a reiver elite i think

I have an airowear zippa, exactly the opposite im 6ft and very slim and they made one up for me in a slim long, and it fits perfect. Did get measured in the shop and had it ordered from them. Its lovely and comfy but it does have to warm up for 5 mins when you put it on, feels really stiff at first and then moulds to you. Forgot I had it on yesterday till I got in the car to drive home and it whacked me in the chin! :D:D

i was thrown off about 3 years ago and broke my back! i was very very lucky ( or unlucky depending on how you look at it) i had just started to part loan after getting back into horses after a 23 year break ( pardon the pun) i landed very hard flat on my back in the paddock and fractured T10 + T12 vertebrae in my back. there was no way that was putting me off horses though and now here i am owning my own :D thanks to a friend of mine making me feel i could do it ( thanks jude) i wouldnt even think about riding without my body protector now and i dont really feel safe without it. i think you only really know the true dangers about breaking bones etc until you have been there.:eek:

I have had many over the years but recently got a racesafe rs200 and it is the comfiest yet - definiately recommend it!

I never wore one as a kid, but have had one since getting my own horse this year. It's a race-safe, and I find it comfortable. I have to say I prefer the ones that velcro on the sides and shoulders rather than the zip ones, as they are much more adjustable. I'm a skinny sort, but long in the body so the zip ones just didn't fit me. I can make mine nice and snug with the velcro.

Righto..glad this thread has come up as i'm struggling too. As you can see from my sig. i'm trying to sell my current BP. In all honesty i don't know if anyone will buy it as how can i prove i've never fallen in it? Other than getting written proof from my RS instructors!! Anyway, my problem is so like some of you lot, short back (5ft 1" - yes that 1" makes all the difference LOL) and a 32G chest. My BP is an Airowear Zippa and i struggle to fasten the zip - i have been told a tabard design is better for the larger chested??? But the main problem is the back catches on the saddle. Lookin at the Airowear website they seem to have lots of different back sizes. There's just so many BP's around now and i feel a bit confused, also a tad annoyed as i bought mine from Rideaway, got fitted, sat on the saddle and all. Guess i'm gonna have to ring places up for advice, although there is a new Derby House sort of in my area, still bit of a trek though. Food for thought so thanks hoofhearted you've helped me out too!! Hope you find a perfect BP :)

newrider.com