body protectors

sockonmyhead

Sammy
Mar 5, 2007
staffordshire
it's a damn good thing i bought one before todays lesson - i had my second, and worst, fall. it was well and truly christened! lol!

i was practicing cross country for the mini event that i'm hopefully doing soon, and i'd gone over every jump fine - logs, ski jumps, barrels, tyres, the drop, everything. i came to go over some tyres which were on a bit of a downhill slope, and my RI told me not to fold too much or else my balance would be thrown off. well, i folded just right, but i lost my right stirrup, and shiloh (the hoss) decided to start veering off to the left, so off i came!

i must have made the first impact with my right elbow and ribs, because they're a bit sore, and then bumped my forehead. finally, i rolled and ended up on my hands and knees! during this time i can hear my RI screaming 'OH MY GOD SAM ARE YOU OK?!'

i was fine. just winded myself a little bit, so i undid the BP so that i could catch my breath. on reflection, if i hadn't been wearing that BP, i would probbaly have ended up with bruised ribs and probably winded myself harder.

so, my brand spanky new body protector, i raise my glass to you!

my BP is made of kevlar, and i heard that hats are made of fibreglass, so they're harder, but more fragile at the same time. i need to see if my hat will need to be replaced - taking it to the saddlery on monday after i get paid just in case i do need a new one. i didn't hit my head hard, but i still don't know!

my BP is completely fine. i think because they're made of softer, but more durable material, they last longer - it does say in the instructions (it came with instructions and everything lol!) to replace it every two years!

Cripes! Glad you were wearing it and are ok. Long live bp's! Knickers to looking swanky on horseback - I'd rather look like Michelin man and be safe!

Pleased to hear that you are ok and fingers crossed you don't wake up too bruised and sore.

Cor blimey, you must be doing really really well. When/Where/Level?

it's just a little mini event at my riding school between the clients! i'm very novice, despite jumping and whatnot, and i'm not the most competitive of people, i just wanted to have a bounce around lol! i should be doing xc and showjumping (fingers crossed!)

and i feel like i did ten rounds with mike tyson this morning! the whole of my back aches, which surprises me since i didn't land on my back!

ah well!

Good job you were wearing the protector!

I wear mine all the time and I'm a novice and don't do anywhere near the amount of complicated stuff you do, but still believe its totally necessary! You just never know with horses (thats why their interesting)

I'm off for an assessment lesson tonight at a new stables, as I have moved cities so they can decide which adult group I should be in!

Yikes, I hope I ride well this evening!

Wow SOMH! You sound like you are flying with your riding. I could not even begin to imagine doing a mini event - let alone x country jumps etc!

Can I ask are all your lessons out of the arena in the field now jumping? How did they start you jumping?

Majority of my lessons are all school movements ie - transtitions, turns and generally trying to improve balance and lower leg strength which is where some of the jumping comes in. Actually I don't even know if my school has a paddock to do x-country!

What sort of things are you being taught about jumping?

newrider.com