Body Protectors...

Purple Hugs

Aug 27, 2005
Nr Llanelli, SW Wales
I was wondering if you wear one, or not? And what your reasons are for your decision?

Do you only wear it for jumping or all the time?

And if you wear one, what is your favourite (assuming you've had more than one)? and why?

yes.. you'll have gathered that i'm thinking of getting one.. but not sure if i should, what type, and whether to wear it for ALL riding or only jumping... :confused:

Lolo-b

Dec 10, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.myspace.com
I've had my body protector since my grandparents met an old friend of mine who had fallen off and broken her pelvis in four places! They insisted on buying me one, which was good as it saved me a lot of money.

Mine is a Rodney Powel Beta 3 standard, my sister has the same and so do loads of my friends. I had an awful fall in August last year, and it probably saved me quite a lot as i was knocked unconcious and broke my shoulder - i was out hacking and fell on a load of rubble and bricks.

So i would say a body protector is a very good idea, however, they make you very hot sometimes, so in hot weather i sometimes don't wear it coz i would faint with the heat! But i would get one, definately!

xxx :)

XmeganX

Murphys~my~baby!!!
Jun 4, 2007
ireland/cork
Hey im new, i wear one at hunter trials cuz you have to an its safer. sometimes on the road and when schooling young ponies. i fell onto a fence once and skinned my right side of my body badly if i was wearing it then i probley wouldnt have been hurt so badly!!!!:eek::eek:

coss

Schooling fan
Sep 5, 2006
Scotland
i wear one every time i ride unless someone springs a "do you want to ride" on me and they lend me a hat. i tend to ride suitable boots anyway and i jump on. hat and boots are all a must, the rest, i prefer to ride with (bp and jods) but if i'm given the chance to ride and i don't have these i don't tend to mind :p

Stella2

Aug 5, 2001
North East England
Visit site
I understand that your grandparents were trying to take care of you, but they don't protect from a broken pelvis!

To answer the question. I don't wear one, but I don't jump and that is what they were designed for (rider up out of the saddle, not flatwork).

Lolo-b

Dec 10, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.myspace.com
I understand that your grandparents were trying to take care of you, but they don't protect from a broken pelvis!
Of course, any rider would realise that a body protector doesn't stop you breaking bones, in fact at times i think it might have helped me to break my shoulder as they are so rigid. But they are only there to protect your major organs, i think my grandparents were just shocked first-hand by the reality of what falling off a horse can actually do.
xxx :)

pepsimaxrock

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
.... they were designed for ..rider up out of the saddle, not flatwork..

....and I didn't wear one for flatwork, and ended up with broken back when he spooked in the school bucked and wanted rid of me....

that said, still not sure I would wear it all the time, I prefer being without it, but tbh once I'm on and riding, its not that uncomfortable, I say, give it a try....

However I am very interested in the assertion that they are only designed for jumping, do the manufacturers or the safety standards say this?

Stella2

Aug 5, 2001
North East England
Visit site
....and I didn't wear one for flatwork, and ended up with broken back when he spooked in the school bucked and wanted rid of me....

that said, still not sure I would wear it all the time, I prefer being without it, but tbh once I'm on and riding, its not that uncomfortable, I say, give it a try....

However I am very interested in the assertion that they are only designed for jumping, do the manufacturers or the safety standards say this?
Sorry to hear about your injury. What I meant was that if they are fitted to the correct length, they will tap against the saddle and 'interfere' if worn in flatwork - they were designed, and therefore the length is not a problem, for the rider who is mostly in the half seat. That doesn't mean the manufacturers would say they are specifically for jumping (after all they want to sell them)! I did used to wear one all the time in the first couple of years of my riding. I know they can be worn for flatwork, but if they don't bump against the saddle, they are not really long enough to protect the coxyx (sp) so they defeat the object.

I'm not suggesting other people shouldn't wear one for flatwork if they want to - each to their own :)

xox stace xox

Honey's Golden Surprise
Oct 23, 2006
i wear mine every time i ride

even though i ride better without, are you allowed to wear them in showin classes over show jackets

i allways think it best to wear one

Purple Hugs

Aug 27, 2005
Nr Llanelli, SW Wales
Hmmm.. reckon i'll bite the bullet and get one soon then. I'd have it in the car all the time as we have riding hats, whips etc in the car (my 8 year old has a b/protector that she wears unless it's scorching hot).
Bless her last week she dismounted stripped off her b/protector and found that she was soaked through her t-shirt!

If it only helps me avoid broken ribs/bruising if i fall into poles then it's something I guess. :)

just better be purple! lol :p

G

Guest 2

I have ridden with mine on all this year. And its been quite cool so it hasnt been any problem. I just wear it for general hacking and jumping.

Today when i tried out the new horse i wore it when jumping the first time, and we were jumping 3ft2.
Then the second time i rode i didnt ride in it as it was a boiling day and i was getting rather hot!

Iron Maiden

Koumpounophobic?
Sep 14, 2006
UK
BPs can be hot & bulky to wear but I know someone who the docs reckon would have been paralysed if she hadn't had her BP on when she had a fall, so I do wear one when I'm doing anything that I think is a bit higher risk than normal, eg I wear one for xc and for sj if I'm planning on doing anything substantial. I also use one for bareback. I have 2, both Beta class 3, one is a bit big for me & catches on the saddle sometimes so OH bought me another a while back. It's an Airowear or something. I like it because it's black!

Holly B

Sep 25, 2004
Wylam, Northumberland, England
Visit site
Wear mine all the time, hacking, schooling, jumping, dressage, sometimes catching in from the field as well. A bit hot in summer but I'm pretty sure I would have broken my ribs once when my sister's pony bucked me off. I hit the ground extremely hard and my hip was painfully bruised but where my BP protected me I was fine! Mine's an Airowear zippa, it's nice but my sister's is even nicer. It's also an Airowear Zippa but she got it about a year later so it's a slightly updated version that fits the body even better. :D