Body Protectors - Who Wears Them?

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Am sure it is a post that has been done before, but clearly I am becoming old and forgetful!

I NEVER wear a body protector. I do have one - a Racesafe - which trying it on and sitting on a chair feels bearable.

But I am old, and in my day, you did cross country and hunter trials with just jods and a rugby shirt, I guess BP's hadn't been invented.

I never, ever ride without long sleeves - I remember an old boy telling me that riding in short sleeves was silly, because if you came off, you skinned your arms, so even in the summer I have long sleeved t-shirts, but then actually, I don't feel the heat that much, so its no sacrifice.

An ex-farrier, who evented, told me I was nuts not to ride with a BP - he knew someone who landed on a fence and broke his back - the BP would probably have saved him that.

So who does, and do they get more comfy as you get more used to them?

Yes I do, every single ride. Initially only to keep the family happy, but now I would not be without one.

Years ago (well twenty odd years anyway) I did have one of the original ones that you just Velcro'd up down each side of your rib cage, I cant imagine it was much good, but I only used it for fast and exciting XC stuff.

I got a lovely Racesafe when I had JJ, and it was just so hot and restricting in the summer months, that I splurged on a Hit Air. I love it and forget I have it on, even on the hottest day. To me it is now like a car seat belt.....totally automatic to plug myself in and off we go.:happy:

I wear a Point Two jacket/waistcoat BP.

So it feels like your wearing a gillet, but if you come off it protects you. I do not think I could wear a traditional one, so this is a good compromise.

They are expensive though, but you just replace the canister if it does go off.

http://www.point-two.co.uk/

I dont,i should but i dont.i have tried numerous ones and cannot get on with any of them.but i get quite claustrophobic in alot of clothes and bps really do make me feel anxious and i get hot and bothered even in minus temps but that cause they make me feel restricted amd anxious.i am the same with bulky coats and clothes,i am often seen in just a t shirt and waistcoat with my leggings in torrential rain as i just cant cope with bulk.

Frances wears her exploding air one every time she rides as her surgeon has told her she must. It's the only one I have ever worn that I feel is comfy.

I don't wear one as a matter of course. I will not wear one of those godawful straight jackets though. Ghastly things. More likely make me fall off by stopping me moving. I tried 1002 on at BETA last year and got claustrophobia in all of them.

I always ride in one. I have done since the age of 17 (20 years ago!!) when my then RI shattered her shoulder after falling. She recommended everyone she taught wear a BP everytime they rode and I haven't got on a horse without one since.

This weekend I am doing my first big dressage show and I was umming and ahhing about wearing the BP, mainly because I feel self conscious about being the only one wearing one. However, this morning at the yard I watched a very nasty full rotational fall where the horse simply tripped over his own legs and did a somersault in the school. The rider went flying and only missed being crushed by the horse by inches. It seems that everytime i doubt my decision to wear my BP, something happens to someone else to remind me why I wear one.

I currently ride in an AiroWear. As soon as I am on my horse I forget I am wearing it. I don't like walking around in it, but on the horse it just feels as natural as wearing my hat. The way I see it is that horse riding is a high risk sport and everyone falls off sometimes. I want to minimize any injuries I might sustain from a fall. My body is very important to me.

A few years ago OH acquired a a 2 year old pony and when the time came to start riding him I thought it best that I had a body protector just in case. One day he decided he wasn't going to be ridden and I came flying off. BP did a good job in protecting my upper body but I fractured my hip :giggle: Doctor in A & E suggested a suit of armour.

These days I have an Aerowear bp for the summer and a Mountain Horse bodyguard jacket for bad weather. I must be getting more cautious in my old age but I always wear one or the other now. Considering what a pony did to me, I would hate to come off 17h Mac without some protection.

I also forgot to add, mine is the HiViz one, due to a number of extremely near misses on our little narrow boreens I have been wearing a Hi viz tabbard for sometime anyway.....and TBH I really just feel like I still have a HiViz tabbard on, so it kills two birds with one stone. Hmmmm...on reflection I am not entirely sure that was a very confidence inspiring analogy.:giggle:

Frances wears her exploding air one every time she rides as her surgeon has told her she must. It's the only one I have ever worn that I feel is comfy.

I don't wear one as a matter of course. I will not wear one of those godawful straight jackets though. Ghastly things. More likely make me fall off by stopping me moving. I tried 1002 on at BETA last year and got claustrophobia in all of them.

But I think I would be worried that the sheer noise of the exploding one would send Tobes into outer space.

I am fortunate I have only ever fallen off him once - and that scared him enough to send him galloping off with no care for me at all. The only thing that stopped him was that he was worried he was alone having pulled himself up and decided to wait for me. A massive noise as well, I fear would send him off the planet.

I think I should endeavour to get used to the straight jacket one. Perhaps if I wear it a lot indoors ..........

I was told that the Hit Air makes the same noise (roughly) of opening a can of coke. I keep meaning to stand next to Dolly and undoing some well shaken cans to gauge her reaction. But I really feel that with my back and hip problems the noise of the damn thing going off and spooking Dolly will be the very least of my worries!:biggrin:

I always wear one. I didn't used to but that all changed when I got myself a bucking bronco. Not sure what mine is but it's quite comfy and it works!

Its not a loud noise, more like a pop bottle when you open it for the first time. I certainly would not be concerned about it scaring anything (this is the point two)

Blimey Nat - have you actually bounced about on the floor in yours??? :eek: I was hoping to never really know for sure exactly what mine sounds or feels like!:giggle:

Blimey Nat - have you actually bounced about on the floor in yours??? :eek: I was hoping to never really know for sure exactly what mine sounds or feels like!:giggle:

No :giggle: And I wouldn't bounce around either.. more like 'thud' once and then cant move!... but when you buy the point two you get a canister of gas to 'test' before using it. It takes a real good tug and is not too loud at all.

Its good to test that it works and know how it feels before you use it in that situation. I had fears of it winding me and breaking my ribs:giggle: Which is funny as I am a condition score 4 = press hard to feel ribs:giggle:

I have heard of ladies actually staying on better with a air jacket... because they do whatever they can to stay on as they are too tight to buy a new canister of gas lol

I have a racesafe. I generally don't wear it often. In fact I think I could count the amount of times I've worn it on one hand! It was the comfiest I tried on but I'm not a huge fan of riding in it. I probably should though!

haha! thats why I opted for the Hit Air....if anything inflated inwards on my dodgy auld lungs I would surely expire, their is only a fag paper left between me and annihilation, even a friendly hug is out of the question!:bounce:

I wear one if I am feeling a bit un confident - even in the school. Atm I haven't needed mine but when I start venturing out of the school I'll probably feel better for wearing it. Mines. Rodney Powell one - I actually quite like it, I just struggle in winter a bit cos it can make my riding coats feel a bit tight.

When I started the cob I wore it every time. It was also brand new and up to standard, i do wear a hat and gloves even for groundwork, so that includes if I lead her out if lunge etc.

I barely know I have it on, I think its a revier (sp)

My hat was also new and up to standard before I got on as well.

newrider.com