Body protectors - recommendations

back.in.saddle

Muddling along
Nov 2, 2005
Most likely at work ;)
In my 'old age' I am getting more and more worried about killing myself riding, particularly when jumping ;)

So, I have decided to invest in a body protector - but I'm a bit confused about sizes as none of them seem to be 'normal'! Wanted to order off the internet ideally (or ask for one as a birthday present).

As a short size 10, do you think I could get away with a kids' one? It looks like it from the Robinsons website but if they are shaped differently maybe it wouldn't work?

Also, what brands does anyone recommend? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but at the same time, I'd like one that will last and look after me.

Bessy

Jun 20, 2005
Wilts & Glos
Hello - I have a racesafe which I love. I only used to wear a BP jumping, but I find this so comfortable I also wear it out hacking (don't get me started on roads and drivers!!).

I'm a small size 8/10 - though quite tall, but I had it fitted at the local saddlers and ended up with a large childs size. (Child size was cheaper too!!).

Bit cheeky, but you could go to the saddlers and try various ones on before ordering off the web. Most saddlers should have someone who can fit them properly. I would definately try some on then risk measuring and ordering - the sizes never work out the same, and different styles suit different people/ body shapes.

graciemoo

graciemoo.co.uk
I just bought the Airoware one with central zip. The zip means it is very comfortable about the 'boobage' area!!
Plus it moulds to your body when heated (ie. body heat) so moves with how you ride...£109.99 but worth it
Would advise the zip up the front to any woman!!

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Everyone on NR can tell you what they have and what fits them, but that doesnt mean it will fit you.
Unfortunately a BP is like buying a pair of shoes. You really need to go to the shop and try some on and may need to go to several shops to find the one that is right for you. You also need to read up the instructions on the labels for what a BP should cover. And get a qualified fitter to help you.

I wore a Chamption Cobra for some time, and was very satisfied until I bought a replacement one exactly the same. The shop were perfectly satisfied but that was when I found, reading the small print, that it didnt cover my lower ribs properly.

My own preference these days is to have a zip up the front and two separate fastenings, one at bust level and one at my waist.

Sorry about this posting - which I have edited as it somehow posted itself before I had written it.

Last edited:

MaisieMoo

Oct 19, 2007
I just bought the Airoware one with central zip. The zip means it is very comfortable about the 'boobage' area!!
Plus it moulds to your body when heated (ie. body heat) so moves with how you ride...£109.99 but worth it
Would advise the zip up the front to any woman!!

I have this one too and I love it - it's so comfy that I forget I'm wearing it!

wildponies

Dec 31, 2003
Visit site
I have had the jack ellis one for years. Don't even know if its up to standard anymore but it is a large childs and I am a size 8/10.

garnet2424

Abi&Merlin
Sep 27, 2007
I've got a Racesafe one, couldn't tell you what size... sorry! :eek:
But it is extremely comfortable for me, so much that when I get cold I wear it as an extra body warmer :p

I also had a horse buck me off and I landed on concrete, didn't get winded and wasn't at all sore, so it must've worked!

This is what it looks like - http://www.bluepony.co.uk/images/Adults-Racesafe-RS-2000-Body-Protector-1891.jpg

Hope this helps, just try as many different brands if possible & see which suits you best. :)

Flony_Pony

Apr 20, 2007
Milton Keynes, Bucks
I also have racesafe 2000. Short size 10 and have a large kids with an extra long back (i think) its really nice, a bit hot but very comfy!!

Would always reccomend but i had mine fitted at olympia!