Body Image

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
I am sure every woman has body issues, but how do you stay confident about them?

When it is time to take action on something that bothers you?

The average size for a woman is a size 16, is that good?Bad ?Do you judge a woman on there size?

Lets discuss

I have gained weight, but I wanted to. I always felt too skinny. It just isn't sitting wherever one would prefer it.
However I am roughly by today's clothes a 12/14 and I feel happy about that.

I don't really have body issues. I have flat feet that mean certain shoes dont suit or fall off. But I guess we all have something we feel could be tweaked.
I wouldn't go under the knife and I wouldn't do these injection things either. So I feel confident because I don't feel concerned about anything.
I walk and ride so my thighs are my biggest part, besides my butt.

I might get my hair dyed to cover the grey but I haven't bothered yet.

You're brave! Weight is an emotive subject!

I would hate to be bigger myself, but I don't judge - people can be as big or small as they like, so long as they're not making themselves ill, and even then, to a large extent, it's their business. However, I don't think we should pretend that fat is healthy (any more than being extremely skinny), and I do get slightly irritated when I see very heavy riders justifying getting on horses that may be able to take their weight, but it's not going to be good for their backs or joints. I just think that's selfish. Surely if there was ever a good reason for losing a bit of weight, it's for your horse's sake?!

Body image-wise - I quite like mine! I think I look pretty good for my age. It's lucky genes really, my family are naturally slim. I've got too much cellulite on my bum but I can't see myself from behind - and it's been too cold to wear a bikini this year anyway - so I don't really care.

I am very happy with my body image for the first time in 8 years! I've finally got my hair exactly how I want it. I've shed the stone I needed to and everything that needed toning up has been toned up! No bingo wings here! Heheheeeee. The combo of stress / selling up / packing up / change of routine has shifted it. Plus being less fed up I eat better stuff all round. I guess the only thing I'd change is my teeth. I'm on Denplan and have a wonderful private dentist. However, I am saving for Invisalign braces, as over the past ten years my teeth have really moved a lot and are NOT attractive! They're in good nick, but cosmetically they need sorting. I have lovely teeth envy! I don't envy skinny women - just women with good teeth!lol

Reactions: squidsin
Oh, and I don't judge anyone on their size. Least I hope not! If someone is happy being plus sized then that's fine. I feel if they are NOT happy being plus sized then they need encouragement to shift the weight. Its a very individual and personal thing isn't it?

Who am I to judge?

I take medication that caused me to gain 4 stone. I went from being 8 stone to 12. I've managed to lose a stone of that but I honestly won't be happy till I'm back down where I should be. I'm just not comfortable being big. So i try and exercise regularly, I ride regularly and I don't overeat. But for as long as I'm on these meds it's an uphill battle :(

Who am I to judge?

I take medication that caused me to gain 4 stone. I went from being 8 stone to 12. I've managed to lose a stone of that but I honestly won't be happy till I'm back down where I should be. I'm just not comfortable being big. So i try and exercise regularly, I ride regularly and I don't overeat. But for as long as I'm on these meds it's an uphill battle :(

My OH has faced the same problem. His meds have made him gain two / three stone and he is unhappy - whats worse is other people's comments. Not sure why they think its okay to say something? Just cos he's a bloke and used to be thin? It makes me angry because I dont think he should have to justify it! Someone locally made a very unkind comment and I was all on not firing something very nasty back at them!

My OH has faced the same problem. His meds have made him gain two / three stone and he is unhappy - whats worse is other people's comments. Not sure why they think its okay to say something? Just cos he's a bloke and used to be thin? It makes me angry because I dont think he should have to justify it! Someone locally made a very unkind comment and I was all on not firing something very nasty back at them!

My oh is also going through it. He's on hormone injections for the cancer and has put on about two stone. Like he said he'd rather be a bit overweight and keep 5he cancer under control but other people can be very unkind.

I've actually been asked when I'm due because people were so used to me being slim. Uber awkward!

My oh is also going through it. He's on hormone injections for the cancer and has put on about two stone. Like he said he'd rather be a bit overweight and keep 5he cancer under control but other people can be very unkind.

I've actually been asked when I'm due because people were so used to me being slim. Uber awkward!

Gosh its awful isn't it? OH has a long term condition which also means that aside from the medication his stomach bloats - and I mean bloats! Between us we have a laugh about it, but when other people say stuff it can be a bit annoying. Vibes to Mr Chev - rotten bloody illness - and you too.

Gosh its awful isn't it? OH has a long term condition which also means that aside from the medication his stomach bloats - and I mean bloats! Between us we have a laugh about it, but when other people say stuff it can be a bit annoying. Vibes to Mr Chev - rotten bloody illness - and you too.

Vibes back :) We do laugh about it sometimes. Like the time we did a car boot sale. OK so my hair was short but I was in a t shirt. Bloke next to us says to Mr C, "Would you like a cigarette?". Mr C declines. Bloke says, " What about your son?!!" :eek:

Reactions: Trewsers and Gimp
I've been big for a long time.

When I split from my ex I was a size 26. Lost 4 stone then put one back on to settle at a size 18. I've struggled with body image for a long time until I realised actually I still get chatted up, people still find me attractive, I was never short of options as it were.

I've put on 3 stone while pregnant and currently living in size 22 leggings but I dread to think what size jeans etc I'd be in. but im still relatively active, dog walks daily, horse etc.
As soon as I am able I plan to be back out to shift this weight and get back to pre baby size comfy 18. I'm also only 5ft which doesn't help matters.

It did take a long time for me to be ok with my body. And even then I wasn't overly confident.

Womble is only 13.3 and has never struggled to carry me. I could hop on now and he would be fine. I have a weight limit for him though and at the top end of that it's "light work" ... walk hacks etc. I won't remount until I am well under that weight

I am very happy with my body image for the first time in 8 years! I've finally got my hair exactly how I want it. I've shed the stone I needed to and everything that needed toning up has been toned up! No bingo wings here! Heheheeeee. The combo of stress / selling up / packing up / change of routine has shifted it. Plus being less fed up I eat better stuff all round. I guess the only thing I'd change is my teeth. I'm on Denplan and have a wonderful private dentist. However, I am saving for Invisalign braces, as over the past ten years my teeth have really moved a lot and are NOT attractive! They're in good nick, but cosmetically they need sorting. I have lovely teeth envy! I don't envy skinny women - just women with good teeth!lol
I am with you on the teeth! I am considering having mine whitened. I'd consider botox too tbh although my husband is very against the idea.

I am with you on the teeth! I am considering having mine whitened. I'd consider botox too tbh although my husband is very against the idea.

I had mine whitened. Go for it! lol I had the trays for overnight. You have to be quite committed but its a good result. OH went for the two hour a day one which was easier (and more expensive) but works just as well. Just don't drink red wine whilst you're in the middle of the treatment!!

I have spent the last three years changing my body image, I was 14.5 stone and a size 18/20 in clothes

This was me silver top and that's me in the pink dress at my cousins wedding.

My tummy still has loose skin and no matter how much I to e it won't go away, if I won the lottery it would be the only plastic surgery I'd have would be to remove the loose skin and only the loose skin, the rest of me in fine with, cellulite is natural and even the thinnest of people have it ;)

You have to be happy with who you are, not just accept how you are and lull yourself into thinking you are fine, I now don't worry if someone snaps me in a pic where as I used to have a meltdown, I also used to have to leave a restaurant if I clocked someone watching me eat,mad I knew I was huge and it triggered my anxiety. I comfort ate as well and didn't want to leave the house so voracious cycle.

Took my brothers wedding and the fact that most of his friends didn't know he had a sister to get me to wake up and realise o was killing shelf slowly and making my own life a misery. Helped me beat my depression and anxiety and find another way of coping and stopping my panic attacks, by feeling good about myself and reaching for my running shoes/gym bag rather than going to the fridge.

I don't judge those who have discreet procedures but those that makes themselves nastier than they started out, well I think perhaps they need help and surgeons need to stop lining their pockets and think of the patients.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayne and MrA
I'm struggling a bit at the moment because the menopause appears to be giving me 'middle aged spread'. Even though I'm eating the same, or less (in an attempt to keep it at bay) as I always have and doing the same amount of exercise, I seem to be getting fat on my tummy and just generally feel fat and bloated. The only good thing is that my boobs look slightly bigger!

I just think about old photos. At the time the photos were taken I won't have been happy with the way I looked, but now I wish I looked like I did then. I'm pretty sure that in 10 years time I'll wish I looked like I do now, so as long as I'm healthy and able to ride I'll be grateful for what I've got and not worry about looking perfect!

I was always a very trim size no matter what I ate - until ill health caught up with me (smoking and hereditary health problems) since stopping smoking and being on daily steroids I am now far from a skinny minny- I have gained about 2 stone!. But hey - I am still alive and still have a fairly active life style and considering my prognosis 5 years back I am more than happy to settle for that. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I lost three stone two years ago over the course of the summer when I hit fifty. I started running, ate healthily and felt good. Unfortunately I pigged out over Christmas that year and never really got my mojo back and the weight has steadily gone back on again. Now I'm the other side of the menopause and it has gone on round my tummy rather than being all on my hips like it used to be. It is also a LOT harder to lose now because of my hormones. I feel too heavy for Albi and have plantar fasciities (from all the stairs emptying my mum's flat) in my right foot so I can't even start running again. Looking back at the pictures now I can see that I actually got too thin at one stage but I'd still like to be a lot lighter than I am now. I keep saying I want to break Albi to drive as I'm sure he has the right mindset for pulling a carriage and I won't feel so bad with him pulling me along rather than carrying me.

I look nice in clothes hahahaha not keen on my belly and thighs area without clothes on!

Though tbh my self esteem improves when I lose weight, I lost a stone earlier this year and actually felt I looked attractive, it's creeping back on but hockey season is due to kick off in the next few weeks so I'm sure it will come off! (Hopefully!)

I'm body confident, but then I'm a slim size 8 and fully aware I have a figure that a lot of women envy. Doesn't mean I don't have my hang ups, like I wish my boobs were bigger and the love handles would go away. But we all seek perfection that rarely exists.

Hitting 30 earlier this year I noticed things were getting a little soft around the edges, so I'm hitting the gym lifting heavy weights with the goal of getting my firm body back with some extra added curves. I'm watching what I eat, though not being overly restrictive. My boobs are quickly disappearing though and I'm genuinely considering (small) implants if I keep following this path.

I would also like to point out that I work all day, I go see my horse then I go to the gym. I generally don't sit down till at least 10pm. I've always been able to eat what I want and I'm genuinely addicted to sugar and carbs, changing my diet has been really difficult, but I've done it. Sugar creeps in every so often, but I'm finding it easier to say no. I didn't like what I was starting to see in the mirror, so I'm doing something about it.

I must admit I don't think that the whole body acceptance movement is healthy. As already said, it's not healthy to be anorexic and it's not healthy to be morbidly obese. I don't think these girls should be celebrated. *skinny girl now runs away and hides!*

newrider.com