Blue Cross foal visit report

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
OK, first up a confession. I left my phone in the car. Doofus!

But don't worry, because although the foals (there were 3 of them) are delightful and as sweet as foals can be, I don't think any of them are for me. The little bay I went to see is going to be HUGE - I did an estimate of the string test on him, and at 5 weeks he looks to make about 15.2 so really not my size!

There are 2 mares there who haven't foaled yet, and I am interested in one of them because she is (for a Standardbred type trotter) a good looking mare with an incredibly wide chest and a sweet temperament, and she might have a foal who is a bit shorter and heavier - maybe by a different stallion, because they were clearly running with more than one. So I will go on with the application process and have the ridden test, just in case, but no foalie for me for now.

I don't mind. I'm not in a hurry.

Reactions: Jessey
Shame but sounds like a good decision :) funny that you need a ridden test to take on a foal, I guess it's not really as will eventually be ridden but it sounded odd as I read it, or maybe it's just time for me to get some sleep o_O

Reactions: MrA
I think the ridden test is in case you might fall for something older?
I would be interested to know what they expect.
Possibly I would fail the handling! I take the headcollar off mine and offer the bridle she takes the bit herself, but the other way round I remove and drop the bridle on the floor. Well I just do. :)

Well I do know that this particular rehoming centre advised someone they could keep two shetlands on a piece of ground that was tiny. The ground was north facing and in very very very poor condition. In winter the ponies would have been starved. I was not impressed by the advice I heard. So lord knows what tests they expect based on advice given.
Anyway I'm sorry you haven't found what your are looking for. Something will turn up.

They've been very strict in their advice and requirements about grazing with me.

I'll be doing a ridden test and a handling test in the next couple of weeks I think. I hope they're not all BHS, I never learned to do things that way!

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com