Blood which I thought was paint - advice please

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
When mucking out this morning I came across some shavings which looked like they had blood on, I dismissed them as just having red paint on - it was blood:eek: This lunch time I discovered Storm's chestnut hanging off and her leg covered in blood. Have cleaned the wound as best I could (not easy when she didn't want catching) but the chestnut is hanging off. Should I bandage it or pull it off? I have cleaned it and put some antiseptic gel on - but I need to have a proper look at it again tonight. She isn't distressed, it took me 20 mins to catch her! Any advice please - would you just leave it hanging off? I thought she might catch it again.Thanks for reading.:)

Ooh - eek!! I have no idea - I've never heard of that happening before! :eek:

Would your vet give you some advice over the telephone?

Thanks for the advice - I might give the vet a ring, martini55, I have a feeling it might just drop off anyway, it looks quite loose! I'd probably be better pulling it off altogether tho, just in case it sets the bleeding off again. I think she's been stamping her feet cos of the midges / flies and thats how its happened. I don't know how I missed it this morning tho - as I turned her out and I always have a look over her before letting go!

we have always pulled them off, had it happen afew times over the years, just keep it clean & spray purple spray or green oils

When Martini did it, the chesnut was literally just hanging on so I thought it was best to pull it off than risk her catching it again on something (though admittedly I made my friend do it!). There was quite a bit of bleeding, which made it look worse than it actually was- was quite superficial really. Just not nice to see! She could have at least pulled the whole damn thing off if she was going to do it :p

I'll get it off when I get home then. I was a bit chickeny to be honest, OH is at work and I was alone in the field with her, she was a bit antsy cos she wondered why I'd caught her and not tacked up (she's a bit routinyfied!!!). Joe managed to get himself tangled up in the lead rope whilst being tied up - honestly, they pick their moments don't they!!! lol..............must remember in future to tie him up shorter - he normally behaves, its like he knew I was struggling with STorm's leg!!!

If you can borrown some nippers and clip it as short as you can without making it sore, wash it and spray or powder it, try and get it drying up. It should be fine. Keep it clean mind.

Will do! I have some wound spray, when I can finally catch madam in about an hour (I need OH to distract Joe!!!) I'll put some of that on. Just hope the flies haven't been near it today - its quite flyish weather (warm and damp).

Thing is I don't want to leave it to chance to fall off - its right where she's going to catch it - and probably start the bleeding off again. Those darned midges - she was kicking and stamping last night, there was no escape from them, even in her stable. I really need some good midge repellant, nothing seems to be working at the moment.

keep the midgie repellant away from the open wound, dont know if you should put a short bandage on till it covers over a little.

my fell had huge chestnuts that always grew very fast, we had the same problem with her catching them.

the farrier started pairing them down whenever he was there so they were kept short regularly. when we got her they were a curved shape like long fingernails about 4 inches, dont know how she hadnt caught them on each other and got tangled up? :D

newrider.com