blind wolf tooth, strong when ridden but dope on a rope in hand

sheltiegroomer

Dec 30, 2007
Hey guys
My mare has a blind wolf tooth on her left side. Dentist says its fine and can stay as long as causing no problem but has suggested changing her bit. She is currently ridden in either a waterford snaffle or a waterford hanging cheek. She is pretty strong to ride (when she wants to be).....this generally comes in the form of not listening to downward transitions or trying to avoid them by tossing her head, twisting her body or bending to the left side.
I cant ride her at the mo as pregnant but she is a lot better generally for me - or my RI than for other people. She doesn't suffer fools gladly and if you can't ride she will take full advantage of that and take you fast as she can to her stable/gate/haynet given half a chance.
I'm thinking about what bit to put her in and how to address this. I'm sure a lot of it can be worked on with schooling but because I cant personally get on her for another few months Im finding it hard to tell. Someone suggested a ported pelham and I'm also thinking of trying a natural halter with her and an experienced rider as I wonder if its an evasion due to her blind wolf tooth being aggravated by the waterford bit???...
On the ground she is a dope on a rope, ploddy, will trot up in hand at a snails pace...where as ridden she is quite lively and is relatively hard to keep in walk.
Her saddle been checked and she also been ridden bareback to see, back been checked, and as said teeth checked recently and other than blind wolf tooth dentist said all fine.
Any suggestions?? I really dont want to have her tooth out but if it's a solution we could poss look into it, would rather try other options first as the dentist didnt seem to think its necessary.
:)
cheers guys.:D

newrider.com